A Query Regarding Linux Mint (Helena)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PhD

A Query Regarding Linux Mint (Helena)

Post by PhD »

Greetings.

Firstly, I would like to state that I am a novice when it comes to using Linux, hence why I came to this forum seeking for help. I have read and searched for solutions regarding my problem through Google and this forum however they were futile, seeing as I am still unable to resolve this conundrum I am having. If you the reader, would be so kind to assist me with my needs - I shall be truly grateful.

As stated, I am running Linux Mint 8, Helena under a VirtualBox. I am having a problem regarding the animations - yes, I am getting the "Desktop effects could not be enabled" error.

I have:

Installed: xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.9.01ubuntu2)
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

I have tried running compiz-check on Terminal and here is the message I was presented with.

Code: Select all

Gathering information about your system...

Distribution:          Linux Mint 8
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_helena.php
 Desktop environment:   GNOME
 Graphics chip:         InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
 Driver in use:         vesa
 Rendering method:      AIGLX

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system...

Checking for hardware/setup problems...

At least one check had to be skipped:
 Error: vesa driver in use 

Would you like to know more? (Y/n) y

The vesa driver is not capable of running Compiz, you need to install
 the proper driver for your graphics card. 
I do know for a fact that the problem is with the "Driver in use" however I do not know how to go about solving the problem.

To summarise my queries:
  • How would I got about solving this? Please provide me with detailed instructions.
  • How do I check whether I am currently running as the Administrator (root)? It prompts me for a password everytime I open the Synaptic Package Manager, or I input a command at the Terminal.
  • Is it fine if I update xserver-xorg-video-intel to the latest version? It tells me that 11 packages will be held back and not upgraded. I fear that something might not work.
I apologise for the seemingly obtuse questions.

Thank you,
PhD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Re: A Query Regarding Linux Mint (Helena)

Post by Old Ruler »

How would I got about solving this? Please provide me with detailed instructions.
First make sure you have enabled 3D acceleration in VirtualBox settings for the Mint 8 VM. You may need to increase the Video memory too. Both settings are in the display section of the VirtualBox dialog.
How do I check whether I am currently running as the Administrator (root)? It prompts me for a password everytime I open the Synaptic Package Manager, or I input a command at the Terminal.
You don't want to always run with administrator privileges. It's a security feature. I realise it's a bit annoying to have to type your password in so often while you are getting your new installation set up, but once it's all running well you won't need to so much.

Only some of the things you do in the terminal will require you to su.
Is it fine if I update xserver-xorg-video-intel to the latest version? It tells me that 11 packages will be held back and not upgraded. I fear that something might not work.
The 11 packages being held back is nothing to worry about (AFAIK). I think everyone sees those messages, but see what happens after enabling 3D acceleration first (presuming it wasn't already set). You might see a pop up dialog suggesting to install a new driver and clicking yes would do it for you.

Hope it helps and welcome to the forum :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”