*.yar-files?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roger-k

*.yar-files?

Post by roger-k »

I have tried Linux Mint for about four weeks now, and I'm very happy with it.
Today I downloaded a program. The file extension is *.yar.
So my question is: What is the best folder for it?
In Windows we have a folder, programfiles. But to keep a good stucture, what will be a "good" folder for the *.yar?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: *.yar-files?

Post by JasonLG »

Linux is very different from Windows. In a Debian based system Like Mint(and Ubuntu) the first step to installing a program should be to search the Package Manager to see if it available from trusted repositories. If it's not in the Package Manager the second step is to search for a PPA for that program. In general that can be done by Goggling < program name> PPA. If the PPA matches the version on the programs website close enough than add the PPA to your repository resources list according to the instructions on the launch pad page and refresh the Package Manager and install in from there. Many programs have links to a PPA or Repository on their site. If the program is not in the package Manager and there is no PPA you should look for a .deb file on their site, it is the very rough equivalent to a .exe in windows or at least the closest thing to it anyway. The last resorts are to manually install or compile for source.
vincent

Post by vincent »

There is no "best" folder for a file, and it's up to you where you want to place files you download from the Internet (e.g. ~/Downloads? An external hard drive as a backup?) Incidentally, I do not know what a .yar file is for, but a quick Google search apparently says that it's a "Castles & Catapults" game file. Never heard of it before, hmmm.
roger-k

Post by roger-k »

Tanks for the reply. I know the best way is to use the package manager, but when I search in the packet manager I will not find this program. The program is located at http://www.hamsphere.com but you must login to get it. It is a virtual Ham Radio Transceiver. The name is "hamsphere_2.0.19_for_linux_and_mac.jar". I was only wondering if there is a "default" folder where program files are located? If there is, I will place this file in this folder, just too keep a good structure at the files and folders.
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

Everything you need to know about .jar files in one tutorial: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48138
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

The default folder if there is any is your user /home/userid directory
--this is where a browser download wants to place files

However, you can pick any folder for downloads and any folder for applications
--if you want to run it and it didn't need an installation, you could use a folder in /home, maybe run_apps or local_apps or somesuch

But if it will need installed, you can install it from your download folder or /tmp (if you didn't need to retain the file (source) after installation or collected them into a group of files app_sources (again the naming choice is yours)
--you have full access to /home and /tmp

Linux standards regarding file locations..
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
roger-k

Post by roger-k »

Tank you very much for the link. That was what I was looking for. It was very interesting reading, and learning for me since linux is new for me.

Return to “Beginner Questions”