office 2007

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jesica

office 2007

Post by jesica »

Hey, Microsoft Office 2007 have that funky tabs on them, can one set it up in Open Office aswell
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: office 2007

Post by DrHu »

http://www.kosmix.com/topic/Ribbon_UI
  • Prototype OpenOffice.org gets ribboned
    The new prototype UI of OpenOffice.org. I am possibly the only one among my co-workers who hasn't moved to Office 2007. I just can't stand the ribbon toolbar, which makes working with documents require a lot of mouse clicking. The traditional menus have been working just fine and I prefer being able to move around with keyboard shortcuts. It's sad ...
Lets hope not, blindly aping Microsoft's lead for their product line is not the way to develop your own application's identity..
--Microsoft's application feature sets are an integral part of their OS: windows is not Linux..
jesica

Post by jesica »

Hey DrHu,

it is true i must admit, the thing is, my best friend from school wants to move to Linux for his work, he runs a small company and will benefit from it for all his workers, but he uses word and excel the whole time and said that is the only things that holds him back, wish I had a answer for him
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

Open office (current version) is like MS Office 2003.

It doesn't have ribbons yet, so what? Things were fine even before them.

Now that i used the Office 2007 for a few months i still have trouble finding some htings through all these ribbons and the way they are hidden. However there are some things done much more easilly and faster than before. Also i like the option of previewing for example the text style before selecting it.

EDIT: My wife uses Open office for her first time now (she too has a small firm). things look good so far. eventhough before we had MS office 2003.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

staffie wrote:my best friend from school wants to move to Linux for his work, he runs a small company and will benefit from it for all his workers... but he uses word and excel the whole time and said that is the only things that holds him back, wish I had a answer for him
wants to move to Linux for his work, he runs a small company and will benefit from it for all his workers.
True, so why doesn't he just do it
--if he is really interested in making full use of a Linux OS: I would also suggest the possibility of making use of thin clients as a way to manage the workstations(computers) and eliminate an IT department for servicing the same, apart from an initial setup and testing
In other words, just stop using word and excel, and learn either OpenOffice writer and spreadsheet or Gnumeric (which has a good reputation for accuracy)

Excel is a much bigger problem than Word

Now, the real problem with all this is that people seem to think they need a bulging office suite (application set) to get any work done

No, they don't, in fact if anyone bothered to look at it they would realize that even if they used a word processor instead of an editor they could generate all their documents in rtf format, and be satisfied , that they could get enough formatting aids to make their documents (text edits) pretty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Text_Format
--its only that users have become hooked on the new, that they believe they need it..
Last edited by DrHu on Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
jesica

Post by jesica »

thanks, I will try ad talk to him again, I can do my website with Linux and use Xiphos for my studies, I just wish I can get Fifa 2010 to work on it, but I am googling hard for that :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”