Sony Laptop has reverted to 800x600 res - [sort of SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Sony Laptop has reverted to 800x600 res - [sort of SOLVED]

Post by solar1951 »

Fresh install of Mint 9 Gnome on a sony Vaio laptop with Radeon graphics.
Here is output of lspci

Code: Select all

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]
Screen was running fine for a few weeks at 1024x768 but now the max is 800x600. As there is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file I am not sure what to do now.
Ihave tried

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
but no change.
Running xrandr shows that this res is possible and puppy will run at 1024x768.

Any assistance please, I have googled but nothing seems to be quite the same.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Sony Laptop has reverted to 800x600 res

Post by dawgdoc »

Which graphics driver are you using? Did you install the proprietary ATI drivers?

inxi -G
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

dawgdoc wrote:Which graphics driver are you using? Did you install the proprietary ATI drivers?

inxi -G
No according to the system no propriertary are available
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Possibly some update caused the reversion. The easy option first (although you probably have tried this)

Menu > Preferences > Display (?) to set the resolution to your choice.

If this does not work, then you could install the proprietary drivers. and try to set the resolution
Menu > Administration (?) > Hardware Drivers

I'm at work on WinXP and can not actually check the Menu to make sure I gave the correct path.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

As I said there are no proprietary drivers available for this card, and there were no updates associated with video or Xorg.
What I really need is a copy of an Xorg.conf file that will force the 1024x768 res on this card.

What terminal commands do I need to run to find out which driver is being used ? OK sorry I'm dumb saw it in your post above :oops:
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

OK, it appears that this is the driver in use
MESA DR1 R100 (RV200 4C57) 20090101 X86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DR12 GLX version 1.3 MESA 7.7.1
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

You are correct, this is not a proprietary driver. To see if you can change the settings of this driver, MESA, by
dawgdoc wrote: Menu > Preferences > Display (?) to set the resolution to your choice.
If this does not resolve the problem, let me know and when I get off work I may be able to spend some time searching the forums; looking for an xorg.conf used in Helena or Isadora that is set for ATI graphics, the R100/RV200 chipset
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

Hi dawgdoc and thanks for your interest I have managed a workaround without resorting to generating an xorg.conf file

For interests sake this is what I carried out.
Carried out some man xrandr searches and confirmed that the monitor could handle 1024x768

xrandr --query
Used synaptic to install a program called arandr
Ran the program and selected LVDS and changed the resolution to 1024x768 then saved this as a shell script - all possible within the program
Then added this shell script, having made it executable, to my start up programs.

I had to do this for all users.

A bit of a pain and probably not "clean" enough for the purists, but I am a builder not a code-monkey :wink:
dawgdoc

Re: Sony Laptop has reverted to 800x600 res - [sort of SOLVE

Post by dawgdoc »

Good Job,

I have seen the name of the xrandr program but never used it, had not heard of arandr until now. I have been fortunate on my few installs of Mint. I will keep this in mind when I see others with graphics trouble.

Return to “Beginner Questions”