Mint 8/ Blu-Ray and W.I.N.E

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
katekyou

Mint 8/ Blu-Ray and W.I.N.E

Post by katekyou »

So today i finally decided to make the change from windows vista to Linux mint 8 on my notebook , it is my first linux but i know that it isnt like windows i know its far beyond windows .

My Notebook Specs
HP Pavillion DV7 2145eg
Intel quadcore 2,00 Ghz
Blue-Ray Combo drive
4 gb ram
1 TB HDD
Onboard sound
ATI Mobility HD 4650

Now the Question how do i get W.I.N.E and Blu Ray to work , when using the Live CD the system already aknowledged my Drive as a blu Ray Drive but it isnt reading the Blu Rays .
The not working blu Ray drive was one point why i tried the change to Linux since it wasn rly working when using Vista -.-
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Mint 8/ Blu-Ray and W.I.N.E

Post by JasonLG »

More than likely it's not going to happen. Blu-Rays don't play in virtual machines on purpose. The Virtual machine breaks HDCP. An outside shot would be to try Any DVD HD in wine. Even if you got it to work I'm not sure how watchable it would be.
katekyou

Post by katekyou »

Oh a Misunderstanding sry , i want to get Blu ray to work on Linux but not with W.I.N.E , to get WINE to work was a second question not both combined .

Also again did Blu Rays work on Linux Mint 8 ? when yes how !

an how do i install W.I.N.E for Newbies since i didnt found a Version wich says that that "Helena" is supported
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
katekyou

Post by katekyou »

Well the Adresse is helping but right now im watching the Properties of my CD/DvD Drive its all unknown , like i said while using the Live CD it was all there all properties were right and it wasnt just a CD/DD drive !
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

katekyou wrote:Oh a Misunderstanding sry , i want to get Blu ray to work on Linux but not with W.I.N.E , to get WINE to work was a second question not both combined .

Also again did Blu Rays work on Linux Mint 8 ? when yes how !

an how do i install W.I.N.E for Newbies since i didnt found a Version wich says that that "Helena" is supported
There is as of yet no easy way to play protected Blu-Ray movies on Linux. It can be done, but it's a pain in the butt and it doesn't always work. It's really not worth the hassle in my experience, it's easier to just use a standalone Blu-Ray player or a PS3.

I have no experience with WINE, so I can offer no advice about it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”