using linux to make XP bootable flash drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxlearner20

using linux to make XP bootable flash drive

Post by linuxlearner20 »

i have tried using the default program that comes with LM9 to make bootable flash drives and for some reason it is not working for me, i also tried unet bootin as well, does anyone else know of a program that can make an XP bootable flash in linux...i do have the XP dvd so i just need a good program....thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BoscoBearbank
Level 2
Level 2

Re: using linux to make XP bootable flash drive

Post by BoscoBearbank »

linuxlearner20 wrote:i have tried using the default program that comes with LM9 to make bootable flash drives and for some reason it is not working for me, i also tried unet bootin as well, does anyone else know of a program that can make an XP bootable flash in linux...i do have the XP dvd so i just need a good program....thanks
Just to clarify, are you trying to create a live XP installation on a flash drive? If that is your goal, I don't believe there is a tool in any Linux distro that will do this for you. Unetbootin boots a live CD image. All of the XP install media I have do not contain a live image; they contain a bunch of compressed files to be installed.
linuxlearner20

Post by linuxlearner20 »

i am trying to create a bootable XP flash drive using linux so that i can install XP on my netbook as i do not have a USB cd drive
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

I haven't tried XP, but this works to create a Windows 7 USB installer from Linux:

-Use gparted to create a NTFS partition on the USB drive.
-Now make the partition active (In Gparted: Right-click the partition > Manage flags > Check 'boot')
-Mount the partition and copy the files from your Windows DVD to it.
-Install syslinux:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install syslinux
-Write the syslinux MBR to the USB drive:

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdX
nono

Post by nono »

In case you cannot find a software that does what you want in Linux, I will recommend WinToFlash.
It is for Windows though but is easy to use and free.

Return to “Beginner Questions”