Opening terminal kicks me off desktop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Opening terminal kicks me off desktop

Postby Nelson on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:29 am

Hi All

When I try to open a terminal it starts to open on the desktop but then exits the desktop and asks me to sign in again. I have to select "failsafe terminal mode" and then sign in. This takes some time, as I'm running Mint on a dinosaur of a machine (Dell Latitude laptop, 400MHz PII, 128 MB RAM, 6 GB HD).

I can't imagine that this is normal (if it is it's a serious PITA).

Any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks
Nelson
Nelson
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:33 pm

128 MB RAM

How the .... did you manage to install?
I think the answer is there - there is not enough memory to handle an open terminal
Not that it takes much (about 5 MB) but you are way below the normal limit!
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby scorp123 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:44 pm

And maybe it's defective RAM too? Even if there is not enough RAM it shouldn't kick you out of your desktop session. I too have a very low-spec laptop (Sony VAIO C1 VFK with a Transmeta Crusoe CPU @600 MHz + 192 MB RAM) and although everything is super-duper *SLOW* and takes ages to load my desktop doesn't die all of a sudden ...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Nelson on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:29 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Husse wrote:
128 MB RAM

How the .... did you manage to install?

It took FOREVER but it eventually happened. I had a 256K linux swap partition already in place on my hard disk, but I have no idea if this is utilized during install.
I think the answer is there - there is not enough memory to handle an open terminal
Not that it takes much (about 5 MB) but you are way below the normal limit!

But it's only the terminal that boots me from the desktop. All other apps work OK. Even GoogleEarth works, albeit glacially.
Nelson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scorp123 on Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:00 am

Nelson wrote: I had a 256K linux swap partition .
256K? You surely mean 256 MB. Installing Linux on a system with only a 256K swap partition would be an interesting 'stunt' I'd really like to witness :D

It's strange that GoogleEarth which is really resource hungry works tip top but the Terminal doesn't. What happens if you open a different terminal? e.g. xterm ... it's a really really small app and I wonder if this one would load?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions