user friendliness: How can i disable all permissions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trueleowdeo

Post by trueleowdeo »

Son of man has gotten sick of restrictions of permissions.
You don't have permission to do this, you don't have permission to do that.
:oops:
How can i disable asking for permissions, So that i do whatever i want. After all i am not protecting government secretes on my pc.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: user friendliness: How can i disable all permissions

Post by Aging Technogeek »

As far as I know, there is no way to globally disable all permissions. You would have to, on a folder by folder basis, change permissions from / to you.

Most of the folders in /home are already owned by you. In /, open the folder as administrator, right click the folder and click Properties. Click Permissions and change Owner from / to you by clicking / and choosing your user name from the menu.

You can also use the "chown" command in terminal. Check proper usage and syntax by running "man chown"

You can recursively change the ownership of all sub-folders inside of a folder to match the new ownership of the folder with a single command.
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

You could always log in as root! though a short time later, while reinstalling you're linux mint you may choose to read the man pages on system users and permissions to take some of the nag out of the process. ;)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Answer: The best way is to use Windows running in admin mode with the firewall turned off. :-)

Have a nice life. :-)

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”