PC Hibernates after adapter is unplugged, with full battery

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MarkHauss

PC Hibernates after adapter is unplugged, with full battery

Post by MarkHauss »

God day,

I have a MSI u123 netbook that is having some inconvenients with Mint (ubuntu nor any win os havet his issue), after i unplug the ac adapter from the laptop the notification says that i have 2 hours worth of battery with 100% but i get a popup that the charge is critically low so the system is going to hibernate, there is nothing i can do, yes the batteyr is in good shape, after i power on the pc again i can run with the battery for over 2 hours... is there something i can do?

thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
robsmint

Re: PC Hibernates after adapter is unplugged, with full batt

Post by robsmint »

I have a similar but different problem I have been unable to track down on Mint 9 LXDE with a "Battery Low" xmessage window coming up as soon as I unplug the ac adapter. I.e. battery is 99% charged (and not down on capacity). I have not been able to find where the battery level is set for this notification to come up. I installed gconf-editor and changed the /apps/gnome-power-manager/thresholds/percentage_low parameter from 10 to 1 to zero etc. but with no effect. Also could not find anything in /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0 that helps.
Anyone know where this setting can be adjusted?

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info
present: yes
design capacity: 4400 mAh
last full capacity: 3968 mAh
battery technology: rechargeable
design voltage: 10800 mV
design capacity warning: 482 mAh
design capacity low: 282 mAh
capacity granularity 1: 10 mAh
capacity granularity 2: 25 mAh
model number: Primary
serial number:
battery type: LION
OEM info: Hewlett-Packard

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
present: yes
capacity state: ok
charging state: charging
present rate: unknown
remaining capacity: 3840 mAh
present voltage: 12638 mV

Laptop is a Compaq CQ61 Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz.
Maybe this is a bug?
Thanks for any help.
MarkHauss

Post by MarkHauss »

Yes, i think that this might be a bug too..
windy_miller

Post by windy_miller »

Just my 2 cents worth.

Since LM8 I have had a similar issue. If I unplug the mains adaptor whilst the PC is on I don't see any messages but my PC goes straight into a suspend or hibernate mode and it's a real pain to get it stable again afterwards.

It always suspends (or hibernates)
It always takes 2 attempts to restart it (press power button, it starts and it hibernates again, press power button and it starts and stays on)
It sometimes has an effect on the wireless which doesn't come back clean and I either have to switch the wireless on and off a couple of times or
I sometimes have to restart the PC totally
windy_miller

Post by windy_miller »

Seems there are bug reports for Ubuntu in Launchpad

For instance ... https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/421985

Return to “Beginner Questions”