please help me setup dual monitors

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

please help me setup dual monitors

Postby spinyshooter on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:49 pm

well I'm looking to setup dual monitors(running different, but I have very little clue on how to do it. right now, I'm just looking for the easiest way to do it,

Code: Select all
01:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Rendition Verite V2000/V2100/V2200 (rev 02)

01:01.0 0300: 1163:2000 (rev 02)

and that it needs the "rendition" driver.

basically, I'm looking for the easiest way to do it. I see in the control center a choice to "edit configuration of xserver", but when I open this it gives a warning. so, not knowing much, I'd like to stay away from that till i get some help. Is this the easiest way or is it easier to edit the file itself? and does anyone know any links to a guide for morons for this, cause all I could find was either not available anymore or not a guide for dummies

thank you in advance for all of your help again :oops:
spinyshooter
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:45 am

You have an obscure video card that is also old (1998 or earlier) and with (by todays standard) really poor performance. Sorry....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendition_(company)
I'm surprised it even has dual monitor connectors and considering that the card has 4 or 8 MB video ram I'm not so sure that you get a useful result...
But if you want to try back up your xorg.conf
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.bak

Then I'd recommend the tool called Xserver-Xorg. The warnings you get is there to warn you that you can screw up your system.
But with a backup of xorg.conf you can boot into rescue mode and recover your xorg.conf and be OK in no time
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Lolo Uila on Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:24 am

The easiest way to do it would be to get a new video card. Sorry, but what little I remember about Rendition is all bad.

nVidia is the recommended chipset for Linux since it has the best driver support.

I have run ATI successfully and they work fine (except for the 9700 Pro), but the ATI drivers don't fully support Linux and require a bit more effort to set up.

Get yourself a nice nVidia graphics card instead of trying to beat that Rendition card into submission. Even if you can get the Rendition working, it won't have the chops to run Linux in all its glory. With even a fairly modest nVidia card you will get better performance.

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:42 am

With even a fairly modest nVidia card you will get better performance.
That's the understatement of .....well this year :)
Even the cheapest of all new nvidia cards is like a formula 1 car compared to a wheelchair
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby spinyshooter on Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:37 pm

I was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but i guess i should spend a few bucks. thanks for the adviseI'll be back next time i have a problem (next week? :lol: )
spinyshooter
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions