Mint Custom Searh:

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wcrowder

Mint Custom Searh:

Post by wcrowder »

How can I set my computer up so that when I search google, either by a search box, or URL bar search, it uses google.com for results. Not Mint Custom Search? Its annoying.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint Custom Searh:

Post by remoulder »

Is this a question?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

remoulder wrote:Is this a question?
Sounds like one. :lol:

But seriously folks....Clem recently wrote a tutorial on how to accomplish that.

But I'm not sure where ..... :wink:
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Try this:

Install the "Add to Search Bar" extension into Firefox (Why this isn't a built in function of Firefox is beyond me):

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682/

Once installed, go to Google's main page (http://www.google.com), right-click on the search field and choose: "Add to Search bar" from the context menu. This will add the authentic Google search to your search bar along with the Google icon so it's easy to distinguish from the Mint flavored Google search. The above extension also makes it easy to add search fields from sites that the Firefox Search bar doesn't recognize.

That being said, using the Mint flavored Google search once in awhile helps support the Mint distro albeit in a small way.

Hope this helps.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
wcrowder

Post by wcrowder »

i will try that, but i use opera. What should i do for opera?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

wcrowder wrote:i will try that, but i use opera. What should i do for opera?
Sorry my friend, I never could acquire a taste for Opera myself so I wouldn't know. I would however recommend that you put it to the Opera forums by simply asking how you would add a new search engine to Opera's search bar. That would probably be your best bet. That or switch to Firefox. :wink: (couldn't resist that one)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Return to “Beginner Questions”