How do I get my webcam working? in LM9

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gychang

How do I get my webcam working? in LM9

Post by gychang »

Have an older mi Micro Innovations P10UN-T1 webcam that I like to use in skype.
When I hook into USB slot on my thinkpad and run "lsusb" I get

Bus 003 Device 005: ID 052b:0102 Tekom Technologies, Inc. Ca508A HP1020 Camera v.1.3.1.6

when I run Cheese I get a message no webcam is installed. Can someone direct me how to install driver and get it working in my skype?

thanks, gychang
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How do I get my webcam working? in LM9

Post by eiver »

While you are trying to solve the problem use also Camorama to test your webcam. My built-in camera for example also is not detected in Cheese, but works ok with Camorama and Skype.
gychang

Post by gychang »

eiver wrote:While you are trying to solve the problem use also Camorama to test your webcam. My built-in camera for example also is not detected in Cheese, but works ok with Camorama and Skype.
thanks will have to try the Camorama.

gychang
gychang

Post by gychang »

gychang wrote:
eiver wrote:While you are trying to solve the problem use also Camorama to test your webcam. My built-in camera for example also is not detected in Cheese, but works ok with Camorama and Skype.
thanks will have to try the Camorama.

gychang
camorama also does not "see" the webcam. How do I make sure the driver is installed? As stated above lsusb command "sees" the webcam.

gychang
Summersky
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Summersky »

This helped me get logitech webcam working.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam
rjnewuser

Post by rjnewuser »

I just ran into issues with the built-in HP Cyberlink web camera, on my compaq c700 laptop.
chances are that this is a Linux UVC device - which I found out via GVCVIEW.
Just search for 'gvcview' using the software manager on LM9 and install it.
should work ok, and it will also show what is the device - mine is surely a UVC.
hope this helps.
thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”