Drive not seeing type of media in DVD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mipcar

Drive not seeing type of media in DVD

Post by mipcar »

I was almost going to put this in the media section but to me anyway it was not quite that simple a problem as "which player to use".

I have one of those HDD/DVD TV recorders at home and today used it to make a DVD copy of a show I'd recorded on the HDD.

My problem in Mint 8 is that it would not see the DVD to play it, so it gave me no options to open it. It was not a fault with the DVD itself as both my Windows machine and Mac machine saw the DVD and they asked which program I wanted to open it with.

It was not the fault of the DVD player in my Mint machine either as if I put in a purchased DVD it will see it and ask What program I want to open it with.

So after my long winded explanation the question is how to make the Minty machine play a DVD if it wont recognise the format to know there's a DVD in there in the first place.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Drive not seeing type of media in DVD

Post by remoulder »

What format are the files? Can you access the disc in nautilus and if so what happens if you double-click the video?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mipcar

Post by mipcar »

remoulder wrote:What format are the files? Can you access the disc in nautilus and if so what happens if you double-click the video?
Main file folder is VIDEO_TS
opening the folder shows files of VIDEO_TS.BUP VIDEO_TS.IFO VIDEO_TS.VOB as the 3 files type.

How can I try to get Nautilus to access the disk?

Thanks,
Mike
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

It is quite likely to be your drive that is the problem. Try this, open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T and enter

Code: Select all

totem dvd://
This will attempt to play the files using the movie player. If you get errors, copy and paste the output back here but it probably indicates your drive is faulty or the disc is.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mipcar

Post by mipcar »

Thanks, I'll give that a try but remember if I put in any other kind of DVD the my Minty machine will see and play it. could be though that the disk I burnt is not real good and the other machines just try a little harder to read it but in any case I'll try your suggestion.

Update, That worked and played the DVD fine. Although still if I look in Computer > DVD it shows nothing as being in there.

Return to “Beginner Questions”