.exe?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mr.magoo

.exe?

Post by mr.magoo »

Is there no equivalent in Mint? I know the Package Manager is supposed to handle a lot of it, but when I encounter software I'd like to use, often as not, I bungle the installation somehow or it just won't install. I absolutely detested Vista, but one thing about Windows, that .exe file did its stuff, for better or worse.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ArcherSeven

Re: .exe?

Post by ArcherSeven »

.exe = Windows executable. I.E. a program. meant to run in Windows. Linux =\= Windows.
many .exe files are installers, in windows, and in Mint, .deb is the basic equivalent for that.
A closer equivalent is .bin (binary) which is ones and zeros lined up to do something (a program, very similar to .exe)
.sh is a shell "script" that replaces yet another implementation of .exe (and other) files from Windows.

Wine is an application which creates an operational Windows "layer" on Linux, allowing many .exe's to run.

Hope that clears that up.....
5littlejoe5

Post by 5littlejoe5 »

I've never used Windows Vista - or at least never on my own machine, so I'm not quite sure if you are talking about a particular file named ".exe" or the common practice of Microsoft in naming so many of their executable files "something.exe".

In Windows or MSdos there are three kinds of files that are executable (that is they act upon the system to produce predetermined results, such as starting or running a particular program). These files are marked by the three suffixes: .exe; .com; and .bat

In Linux there are counterparts, but they are not marked in the same way. These files do the same sorts of things (but in a linux operating system)

To keep this short, I'll say that in your directory, (or file manager) you can just right click on any file (or any entry) and you will see a menu that includes the word "properties" If you choose that it will tell you quite a bit about that file. If you click on the tab under "properties" that mentions "permissions", near the bottom will be a mention of "Execute" or "executable" and you can see if the user mentioned at the topo has permission to execute that file (if it is executable).

You don't need to understand much about this to make good use of it. I like to install the programs that suit me from the "package manager. Normaly they will install wiithout a hitch and be usable (executable) from the menu immediately.
mr.magoo

Post by mr.magoo »

Thanks all for the help. Now, to actually get some time to work on this monster!

Return to “Beginner Questions”