making LM look like ubuntu

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DarinB

making LM look like ubuntu

Post by DarinB »

I am going to do a clean install of LM 9 on a friends machine she has been on Hardy Heron for a couple of years. how can i make LM 9 look like her ubuntu desktop with the application places system menu instead of the LM start button. I can not copy over her old home folder since she has many corrupted documents that she can't print or recover as well as other issues i want to clean away with a fresh start.
thanks for the help.
D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
distrohopper

Re: making LM look like ubuntu

Post by distrohopper »

You want to add either Main Menu or Menu Bar to the panel.
bigngamer92

Post by bigngamer92 »

Yeah the Main Menu (?) will give you the Ubuntu style menu, and If you use the right icon set, you'll even get the Ubuntu logo. Then just throw some Orange/Brown (Purple/Black?) at the scheme and you'll be golden.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

yes per the above....they are all just applets...I always move the stock panel to the top, and add a panel at the bottom with show desktop, window switcher and trash, but keep the mint menu....just to make things less crowded on the single panel as I use ZERO desktop icons. It basically looks like Ubuntu except I keep the Mint Menu.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
distrohopper

Post by distrohopper »

I prefer using the gnome-colors icons icons (built from source). It usually gets rid of most of the Ubuntu branding.
DarinB

Post by DarinB »

sounds much easier than i imagined and i will be able to remove the LM start button?
interesting i thought there was going to some complicated trick to it.
thanks i will redoing her computer sometime this week...glad to get her on LM it will be much easier for her since it seems so much more stable.
vincent

Post by vincent »

To remove mintMenu, right-click it and select "Remove from panel" (you may have to uncheck "Lock to panel" first though). The same process applies to all gnome-panel applets.

Return to “Beginner Questions”