Intel 4965AGN

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dpeters11

Intel 4965AGN

Post by dpeters11 »

This is on Isadora and a Dell e1505, the first is an annoyance, the wifi light keeps flashing. Can I make it light solid when connected to wifi? Also, it's not seeing my 5ghz network. Is there something I need to do to get it to see it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Intel 4965AGN

Post by joutlan »

I'm connected right now to a 5ghz network using an intel wifi 5300....I can't figure out why you're not picking up that network with the 4965....I assume you see it with other OS's/computers?
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
dpeters11

Post by dpeters11 »

Yes, 5ghz network is working. I had been using it for my DVRs, but they're now connected through coax so am wanting to repurpose the band. A Windows system connects fine. I want to avoid 2.4ghzas much as possible as I cannot set it to a channel without major overlap on neighbors strong channels. They're using 2, 6 and 11.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I just installed isadora 64-bit and I have no problems connecting to my wireless with my Intel 4965agn on S96S. Works out-of-the-box. The light is solid green - not flashing. Maybe its a Dell issue and not the card itself? If you cannot solve the problem with your 5ghz network, then try 2.4ghz - it was designed to work in an environment with heavy traffic, so you should be fine working on the same channel as your neighbors (unless they really transmit tons of data). Just make few network speed tests.
dpeters11

Post by dpeters11 »

The flashing light is the big thing, though just annoying. It doesn't actually start flashing until I connect to wifi. Some of the things I'm reading make it sound like it's a feature.

I might see if this works
http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/showthr ... 511&page=5
but don't know enough on Linux yet to know whether this will work on a Lucid based system.

I'll run speed tests, just trying to get as much speed as possible on my systems as I'm upgrading my pipe this weekend.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

dpeters11 wrote:The flashing light is the big thing, though just annoying. It doesn't actually start flashing until I connect to wifi. Some of the things I'm reading make it sound like it's a feature.

but don't know enough on Linux yet to know whether this will work on a Lucid based system.

I'll run speed tests, just trying to get as much speed as possible on my systems as I'm upgrading my pipe this weekend.
It flashes when it's working :) I like to see that personally.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
dpeters11

Post by dpeters11 »

theZoid wrote:
dpeters11 wrote:The flashing light is the big thing, though just annoying. It doesn't actually start flashing until I connect to wifi. Some of the things I'm reading make it sound like it's a feature.

I guess to my mind, I'd like to see it solid on when it's working, flashing when it loses connection to get my attention.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

dpeters11 wrote:
theZoid wrote:

I guess to my mind, I'd like to see it solid on when it's working, flashing when it loses connection to get my attention.
you're not alone...there are guys on the Dell Precision forum who feel the same way, and some like me :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”