What antivirus should i use with Linux? and where are the te

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pion33r

What antivirus should i use with Linux? and where are the te

Post by pion33r »

i am planning to changed my current OS(Windows 7 Ultimate) with Linux Mint 9 or Ubuntu 10.04, but before that i wanna gather all the necessary knowledge in maintaining this OS, so i want to know what anti virus should i use for Linux, please don't tell me i don't need anti virus/malware/rootkit/spyware/spamware/e… cause their is no such OS with immunity to this unwanted programs, and i know that if you are going to execute a software or application that might be contaminated it will surely ruin your OS, so come on tell me what protection should I install?
in addition i had heard of people getting their linux system with unwanted software and the list of this unwanted programs are in wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malwa
to add more linux's popularity is growing so fast which makes it a target to people with destructive mentality.

and 1 last thing can you tell me where can i find the temporary files folders??? i mean i don't want my system to run slow and 1 of the way to make it work faster is to delete this trash.

i hope you will help me with this concern. i am also looking for other linux group/clan/site/gang/team/ect.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigBuckets

Re: What antivirus should i use with Linux? and where are th

Post by bigBuckets »

This program can delete & clean your system of unwanted files: http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/
It's available through the package manager.

The "sticky" threads are useful too: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=31723
vincent

Post by vincent »

About Antivirus, please read this thread first: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=31723

If you've read all that, and you still insist on having an AV program, there's a free open-source one that's popular amongst the open-source community called ClamAV, available in the repositories (search for "clamav" and "clamtk" in Synaptic Package Manager). There's a firewall in Mint by default (known as iptables), which can be easily configured with gufw (search for it in mintMenu). More detailed firewall controls are accessible via the command line, although as a newbie there's almost no way you'll be able to configure iptables or even ufw by hand, hehe. :P

All temporary files are located in /tmp; these files are automatically wiped on reboot. Certain programs store temporary files in their own profiles within your Home directory, e.g. Firefox stores its data in /home/<user>/.mozilla (it's a hidden folder, CTRL + H to reveal). There are certain programs that are great for cleaning things up, notably Bleachbit (look for it in Synaptic as well, while you're hunting down ClamAV).

Edit: bigBuckets beat me to it. :P
pion33r

Post by pion33r »

yeah i have read that and thanks for the answer now i get addition information. thanks dude :D
Canrith

Post by Canrith »

And after installing and to clean your system open Synaptic > Status > Not installed (Residual config) and mark everything for Complete removal. After that open terminal and copy / paste (one by one):

sudo apt-get autoclean

sudo apt-get install localepurge

sudo apt-get install deborphan

sudo deborphan | xargs sudo apt-get -y remove --purge

sudo apt-get clean / autoclean / autoremove
SMT

Post by SMT »

vincent wrote:About Antivirus, please read this thread first: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=31723

If you've read all that, and you still insist on having an AV program, there's a free open-source one that's popular amongst the open-source community called ClamAV, available in the repositories (search for "clamav" and "clamtk" in Synaptic Package Manager).
Kaye's write up in this sticky is really about the end of it.

Just make sure that you install BOTH ClamAV and ClamTK. ClamAV is works very well and is run from the command line. Coming from Windows you are most likely going to be looking for a UI, thats where ClamTK comes in. TK is the GUI for ClamAV.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

As long as you do not download something from a risky source you should be pretty safe (both on Windows and Linux). Most malware today spread, because people are dumb enough to just download it and run it (and even give administrative privileges when prompted). As you said no system is secure, just as there is no anti-virus which will detect everything. Any anti-virus software works best for well-known viruses, but is terrible at countering zero-day attacks. The only solution to counter that (or at least reduce probability of infection) is to use not one scanner but all of them. Different scanners respond to new vulnerabilities with various times. When you use all of them you are always as up-to-date as possible. Of course installing a lot of anti-virus software will kill your machine, so I recommend to install one resident anti-virus monitor as recommended above, but whenever you suspect a file - don't only count on your installed AV and put in through a multi-scan like for example http://virusscan.jotti.org/en.

Return to “Beginner Questions”