How do I change run level - mint9

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
njoylif

How do I change run level - mint9

Post by njoylif »

I need to install nvidia drivers and X can not be running...killing me...can't find anywhere. I gather I need init 3, X loads on 5.
/var/run/utmp seems uneditable (lots of @ symbols)...
Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
Larry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: How do I change run level - mint9

Post by vincent »

Press CTRL + ALT + F1. You should see a terminal in front of you. Login, type your password, and then issue the following command (I'm assuming you're using the Main/Gnome version):

Code: Select all

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
Replace gdm with kdm if you have KDE.

Now you can install the Nvidia drivers you want by running the script you got from Nvidia's website, with root privileges of course. When you're done, you probably have to reboot; just issue the following command to do so:

sudo reboot
If you don't need to reboot, or the installation didn't work and you want to return to a graphical environment, type the following:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
Then press CTRL + ALT + F7.

As an aside...is there a particular reason why you can't use the Hardware Drivers GUI to install your Nvidia driver? mintMenu > Control Centre > Hardware Drivers.
njoylif

Re: How do I change run level - mint9

Post by njoylif »

I am having problems with laptop as follows:
boot laptop with no docking station -> uses attached monitor
boot laptop with docking station with dual monitors - set up with laptop native monitor, then turn that off

when I go back to just laptop, it uses dual monitor setup and I don't get my desktop.

not sure what the best way to do this, but I've spent a lot of time searching...saw something for scripting, but I didn't find hardware in my output that I could use...(big file and don't know what I'm looking for.
Have Dell M6400.

Thanks for the response.

Return to “Beginner Questions”