linux gripe.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

linux gripe.

Postby allforcarrie on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:56 pm

Linux has evolved to an "online" operating system. if you aren't connected to the net its hard to get any any programs or updates. I am currently deployed to the middle east and don't have access to get Linux online so I have to download things on another computer and move them over. One of the users of this forum was generous enough to send me an apt on cd disk witch helps out allot! Don't get me wrong I like Linux and I would use it all the time if I could play games on it. once I get home I am going to turn at least one of my computers into full time Linux boxes. I really like what mint has done and the community is awesome.
allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby OU812 on Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:00 pm

I think this is true of other os's as well. However, linux has one advantage: you can, for example, download and burn an entire repo and install apps at any time.

john
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Postby alexander on Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:04 pm

unfortunately it is a bit like that, however pretty much all OS's are these days.

Fortunately with Debian / *buntu / mint you can do as you say and get someone to burn you an apt on CD and install poop that way.
alexander
Level 2
Level 2

Postby allforcarrie on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:37 am

downloading programs from the net is very confusing if you dont know what you aer doing also. everything has went to apt-get insted of going to the webpage and actuly downloading the installer. Dont get me wrong, i love apt get but it would make things alot simpler if ther was a central server to download actual gui installers as .deb or .apt .
allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Lolo Uila on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:57 am

allforcarrie wrote:downloading programs from the net is very confusing if you dont know what you aer doing also. everything has went to apt-get insted of going to the webpage and actuly downloading the installer. Dont get me wrong, i love apt get but it would make things alot simpler if ther was a central server to download actual gui installers as .deb or .apt .

How about .mint?

http://www.linuxmint.com/software/

8)

And what modern OS doesn't depend on the net nowadays? Even when you buy Windows or Mac apps on disk the first thing they want to do after installing is go on-line and activate, look for updates, etc.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions