KDE Desktop Problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Murphy

KDE Desktop Problem

Post by Murphy »

Hi, my name is Dale and I in a huge dilemma and need someone's help right away. I am new to linux and I was wanting to run KDE desktop to try. I saw a forum msg that said grab KDE - all which I did. I made the mistake of setting it as the default desktop and when I go to boot it gives me a low resolution error. I tried everything listed (reconfigure video, run in low res once, etc) to correct the problem but nothing works. I need to remove it at the boot or switch back to gnome at the boot.

I run a boot publishing business and I recently switched to Linux Mint and haven't been able to back up my import files. Can't loose anything.

Can I just reinstall Mint Linux over itself to correct the problem as a worst case? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a huge change for me since I have always as a career worked in the Windows World.

Thank you,

~Dale
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mick55

Re: KDE Desktop Problem

Post by mick55 »

Murphy wrote:Can I just reinstall Mint Linux over itself to correct the problem as a worst case?
Yes. It may be the simplest way of solving your dilemma
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

Thanks for the response. It will not erase my data will it?

~Dale
mick55

Post by mick55 »

Murphy wrote:Thanks for the response. It will not erase my data will it?

~Dale
If you install it over the existing install, it will most certainly erase your data.

Boot to the Mint Cd and copy your data to somewhere safe before you reinstall.

However, just because you installed KDE, it does not mean you have to run KDE.

At the login screen, select sessions, and login to a Gnome session.

You can then remove KDE completely if you want to.
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

I set things up to auto login. Sigh

If I back up the home directory will that get things like my Thunderbird profile because most of my business is run via email.
Last edited by Murphy on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

No problem.

Start gnome from the command line

Code: Select all

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

I am running from a LIVE CD. Can I do that this way?
mick55

Post by mick55 »

Yes if you chroot to your installed system.

Can you boot your installed system to a command prompt?
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

I don't know how. I am a Windows person and this linux is new. I can get the grub boot menu to come up that shows the different versions of upgrades done (weird) which I can hit to terminal mode. I don't know how to do anything in terminal mode.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

Murphy wrote:I don't know how to do anything in terminal mode.
I gave you the command above to enter in the terminal.

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
Follow the instructions and you will be able to boot a gnome desktop.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

If you are unable to boot this way for whatever reason, the alternate method would be
to chroot into your installed system. Here are instructions, and yes they are
mostly in the terminal, since you don't have a desktop. :wink:

Boot the Mint CD.

Your hard drive should show up on the desktop as hda1 or sdb2 etc depending on your hardware.

Double click on it to mount it. Then right-click, actions -> change to read-write mode.
It'll open a dialog box; click yes.

Now, open a root terminal [sudo su]

Enter: chroot /mnt/hda1 or whatever the icon for your harddrive says on the desktop.

You can now use the commands I gave you.

/etc/init.d/gdm start
I am not currently on a Mint system so my GUI commands are from memory.
My CLI commands are accurate.
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

Thank you for all your help. I wasn't able to get into the grub boot menu. During boot lost power which required me to manually run fsc which I did. Once I rebooted the system it brought me to the KDE desktop login but when I logged in it kept bringing up terminal. I found the option to choose how I wanted to boot and now all is well in the world.

I don't know if I should just remove KDE all or not? I would like to try it out and I only have a 30 gig HD. Also I would like to find some good reading material that will get me up to speed quickly as I would like to add Linux to my resume someday.

Cheers,

¬Dale
mick55

Post by mick55 »

Murphy wrote:I don't know if I should just remove KDE all or not? I would like to try it out and I only have a 30 gig HD.
There is a KDE version of Mint 8.

Perhaps you should just try it out as a live CD and see if you like it.

As far as removing KDE, if you feel comfortable doing so, then go ahead and remove it.

Otherwise, leave well enough alone. :wink:

mick

Return to “Beginner Questions”