Desktop locked down! **Resolved**

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mg257

Desktop locked down! **Resolved**

Post by Mg257 »

Ok. Been running Mint 8 for a while and i love it, it was my first linux install. Anyways yesterday my desktop was clean but i didn't notice since I only had one icon pinned to it anyways. Well today i tried to pin something else to the desktop and it would stay, it would just disappear. Also when i right click my mouse nothing shows up and i cannot change my wallpaper. SO in short my desktop is locked down, nothing will show up on it and i cant change it. Thanks in advance for the help. also if I don't make much sense say so and i'll try to clearify.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Desktop locked down!

Post by vincent »

To change your wallpaper, just go to mintMenu > Control Centre > Appearance, and look under the "Background" tab of the window that pops up.

What do you mean by "pinning" stuff on your Desktop? Can't you just copy and paste stuff onto your Desktop?
Mg257

Post by Mg257 »

vincent wrote:What do you mean by "pinning" stuff on your Desktop? Can't you just copy and paste stuff onto your Desktop?
No, if I copy and paste or drag and drop it wont show up. Also the right click on my mouse is disabled on the desktop but not if i right click in a window. It seems like i disabled showing menus in the desktop or changing the desktop somehow.
I was looking through the forums and read about a kiosk mode, maybe i enabled it? Just a thought. I also use the gnome menu so i go to system>preferences>appearance and that won't load. It would show up on the panel then disappear. If i go to my pictures and right click to set as wallpaper it won't change either.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Hmmm...let's clear your gconf settings back to default to see if that solves the problem first. Note that you'll lose any custom backgrounds, icons, themes, etc. in the process, as they'll be reverted back to default.

Open up your Home folder, press CTRL + H, find the folder called ".gconf", and delete that. Log out and then log back in.
Mg257

Post by Mg257 »

Perfect. That did the trick. Like you said it reset the settings to default but i can put everything back. Thanks alot.
vincent

Re: Desktop locked down! **Resolved**

Post by vincent »

No problem...hehe, from what I've recently, deleting .gconf seems to be the key to almost any problem related to desktop/theme/background issues. :P

Return to “Beginner Questions”