Antivirus NOD 32

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MisterP

Antivirus NOD 32

Post by MisterP »

I was reading through the forums and I came across an article about installing antivirus software - in particular ESET NOD 32 Antivirus 4. I thought I would have a look at it so I STUPIDLY followed the instructions and installed it. AND NOW I CAN'T UNINSTALL THE DAMN THING. I've had a search on the internet, but any things I found were Windows based. Can anyone help? How do I get rid of this NOD 32 thing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Antivirus NOD 32

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I don't know for sure that this will work on a program like Nod32 that was inrended to be installed to a Windows OS, not Linux.

Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge Nod32 && sudo apt-get autoremove
Enter your password when prompted (no indication of password entry in terminal)

If it works, this will remove Nod32, all its config files and any possible dependencies.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Can you point us to the thread which you got the instructions from? It's the only way we'll be able to help you, because we don't know how exactly you installed Nod32 onto your system.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

vincent,

If he got it in this forum, it had to be here. This is the only hit turned up with advanced search for Eset NOD32.

The program installed is apparently a new beta for Linux.

Checked the web site here. The Linux version beta 1 was only released in Dec. 2009. Beta 2 was released 2 days ago. This thing probably has more bugs than an ant farm.

Since it was a Linux based binary he installed, the sudo apt-get purge command I gave him will hopefully get rid of it.
mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintymintminty »

I thought linux did not need AV so whats this all about?
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

mintymintminty wrote:I thought linux did not need AV so whats this all about?
Well if u run an email server, it could be a good idea to scan the messages.
You can use it to remove viruses from your mother's Windows drive as well ;) (But for that, I would recommend Avast AV)
MisterP

Post by MisterP »

kwevej wrote:
Well if u run an email server, it could be a good idea to scan the messages.
You can use it to remove viruses from your mother's Windows drive as well ;) (But for that, I would recommend Avast AV)
Aging Technogeek wrote:vincent,

If he got it in this forum, it had to be here. This is the only hit turned up with advanced search for Eset NOD32.

The program installed is apparently a new beta for Linux.

Checked the web site here. The Linux version beta 1 was only released in Dec. 2009. Beta 2 was released 2 days ago. This thing probably has more bugs than an ant farm.

Since it was a Linux based binary he installed, the sudo apt-get purge command I gave him will hopefully get rid of it.
Aging Technogeek wrote:I don't know for sure that this will work on a program like Nod32 that was inrended to be installed to a Windows OS, not Linux.

Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge Nod32 && sudo apt-get autoremove
Enter your password when prompted (no indication of password entry in terminal)

If it works, this will remove Nod32, all its config files and any possible dependencies.

Thank you all for your replies.

I think I've got the thing removed now. How stupid am I?

I realise I probably don't need AV, but I was just looking. NEVER AGAIN!

Cheers

Return to “Beginner Questions”