Updating Kernel?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dmaxel

Updating Kernel?

Post by dmaxel »

Hi everyone!

I wouldn't say that I'm a Linux newbie anymore, as I've been constantly using a mix of Ubuntu and Fedora for a while now (getting almost to a whole year being Windows-free!). However, I've heard of Linux Mint, and decided to give it a try (and hopefully to convince my dad to use it as well...he's been looking for a good Linux distro with backup features). And in all, I'm very impressed with how everything works instantly (at least for the systems we've tried it on so far). There is one thing I'm wondering about, however. In all Linux distros that I've seen, the kernel gets updated automatically with everything else if there is a newer version. But so far Linux Mint hasn't even mentioned the kernel in the Update Manager. I know there is 2.6.32-22, but I'm still running 2.6.32-21, so there's a newer version. Also, I see the newer version when I go into synaptic, and I know I could install it right there. But wanting to keep it how I'm used to, I want to ask why it's not including the newer kernel in the Update Manager, or what I have to do in order to make it do that.

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Brian49

Re: Updating Kernel?

Post by Brian49 »

Kernel updates appear at Level 5 in the Update Manager. Please have a look at the preferences and see whether that level is ticked for visibility.

Old Linux hands will caution you not to update the kernel without good reason (that's why it appears at Level 5). I take a more relaxed approach myself, as I've found that the updates I've tried haven't caused any problems, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend such an approach to everyone.
dmaxel

Post by dmaxel »

Ah ok, thank you very much. I usually try to always update to the latest kernel that is available to me because I like taking advantage of new features, fixes, etc. I understand that people always say "Don't fix something that ain't broken", but I've never really had any problems when updating to a newer kernel.
kris

Post by kris »

Hi!

Coming from Ubuntu (just recently, as you can see by my post-count ;-) I have experienced what regular kernel updates can mean:
On a standard system (mostly default package selection, no fancy hardware and/or special drivers) the updates usually run without any problems.
A non-standard system can stop working altogether - even though this hasn't happened to me that often...

IMHO the "never touch a running system"-rule applies: Every update or change can break the component being updated. The kernel unfortunately is a rather central component of an OS and can cause more trouble than most other programs.

Even though it is pretty easy to revert to an older kernel-version (if you know how to bring up the boot-menu), a normal user would sit in front of a broken system...

-- Kris
dmaxel

Post by dmaxel »

Right, and I know this distro has a lot of it's focus on new users or simply inexperienced/simple computer users that would start crying if anything went wrong, which is a really good thing (the kernel updates don't help THAT much before a new distro version is released). I'm not that kind of person though, so I still wanted to find out. ;)

This actually reminds me of a conversation in the real world I happened to overhear about a group complaining about a computer with viruses, and it costing thousands of dollars to get rid (I presume they thought they were stuck with the virus on that system forever and could only get rid of it by buying a new computer and using that). Sigh....

Return to “Beginner Questions”