Frikken Adapt Manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Frikken Adapt Manager

Postby plowran on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:18 pm

So I Got My system running, all except my iPod, I had Everything loading, Beryl Working you name it.
Then last night I downloaded all the updates and POOF its gone.
It loads but then X crashes and I just get the prompt, If I type STARTX again it does the same thing, what can I do to get KDE running again without doing the noob thing and re-installing?
Thnx
Phil
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:46 pm

I think I saw an update to X one way or the other in KDE
You have to reinstall your video driver. Boot in recovery mode and issue the command
Code: Select all
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

If you end up in a tty terminal type exit - if you end up in the desktop environment reboot immediately as you still are root - important!
My Cassandra KDE just started as normal - but I still think there was some X update. Unfortunately every time X is updated or a larger change to the kernel is made you have to reinstall graphics (and possibly more)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby plowran on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:59 pm

never had to boot into recovery
so smack me if you wish but what is the keystroke to do that?
Signed
Dumb@$$
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Postby newW2 on Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:35 pm

Recovery mode is a boot option on your grub menu. If you don't see the grub menu because you only have on distribution installed there will be a prompt that says press "e" or "ESC" or "F1" (can't remember for sure). That will show the grub menu and you select recovery mode from there.

This will boot you to a root# prompt at a tty screen. Enter the code that Husse suggested in his post at the prompt, etc.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Lolo Uila on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:29 pm

Actually, the problem isn't with X, it's with the closed source ATI and nVidia drivers. If you install the ATI or nVidia proprietary driver then you'll need to reinstall it any time there is a kernel update. The last round of updates installed a new kernel so anyone running the ATI or nVidia drivers will have problems after the update.

If you enter the "dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" command you will probably lose any 3D accelleration and special configs for Beryl, etc.

Exit out of the xserver error notice and hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log in to the shell. Once in the shell enter the following commands:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

sudo envy -t

and install the appropriate driver. After envy has finished reboot the computer, and if you still have problems restore your xorg.conf file with:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Oh, and welcome to the world of closed-source drivers.

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:37 pm

Lolo Uila is right if you use the closed source drivers.
As you are thrown into the shell (which I did not notice at first) you just boot as usual and when you are at the shell (the prompt) you can follow his advice. You don't have to use ctrl+alt+F1 as you are there already :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby plowran on Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:59 pm

Hey Husse
Yea THat Was a Stupid question, I knew how to get into recovery, is my face red.
its been a long week. Thanks though your sudo command did infact work, but now im having networking problems, but thats for another thread, consider this thread closed
plowran
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions