[SOLVED] Wiping my second hard drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NotVgood

[SOLVED] Wiping my second hard drive

Post by NotVgood »

First post from someone who's not all that confident...
I recently installed Mint 9 on a new hard drive - works fine after a bit of messing around with the sound.
My PC also contains a second hard drive; the older one on which Mint 8 (now not used) was installed.
My plan is to use first hard drive day-to-day and backup to the second. However, I want to clean everything off it first. I wouldn't mind if someone could spare the time to show me how I should go about this and prevent me from accidentally destroying everything (a great party trick of mine). Also, when I start the PC, grub (is that right?) presents me with a variety of options, including booting Mint 8 on the second drive. I'd like to get rid of this as well if possible.

Thanks in advance

Ian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Wiping my second hard drive

Post by Aging Technogeek »

First, install Gparted from Software Manager in Mint 9.

Unmount your Mint 8 partition.

Start Gparted and use it to create a new partition table on your Mint 8 drive from Mint 9. (Don't worry about destroying Mint 9, Gparted will not work on a mounted partition, especially one it is mounted inside of.) Format the drive to ext2 or ext3 for use as storage.

Once Gparted has finished, open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
This will remove the Mint 8 entries from the grub boot menu. Make certain you run update grub before you shut off the computer or you may have trouble getting back into Mint 9.

When you reboot, if Mint 9 is the only OS on the computer, the grub menu may be hidden. If yoou want to have the menu displayed on boot, open a terminal and enter

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
Enter your password and, in the gedit window, find this line in the grub default folder

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
and change the last word to false.

Run "sudo update-grub" again to pick up the change you just made.
NotVgood

Re: Wiping my second hard drive

Post by NotVgood »

Worked fine. Second drive is now formatted as ext3.

Had a moment's concern about the "GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true" bit; changing between true and false seemed to have no effect.
However, then I noticed the line above it (GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0) started with a "#".
I guessed that this was why no change occurred, removed the "#" and then changing between "true" and "false" actually achieved what you intended it to.

Thank you for your assistance (and an injection of confidence!).

Ian

Return to “Beginner Questions”