Gnome doesn't start upon booting

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cebalrai

Gnome doesn't start upon booting

Post by cebalrai »

I recently installed Mint 9 on a new computer I built. The install seemed to go fine.

But usually when I boot, it only boots to a black screen and a terminal. I then have to start the GUI manually. Strangely this happens about 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time everything starts just fine.

Is there any way I can get Mint to just boot normally?

Thanks in advance (big linux noob here).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cebalrai

Re: Gnome doesn't start upon booting

Post by cebalrai »

Shameless 24-hr bump. There must be a simple solution, no? :(
cebalrai

Post by cebalrai »

48-hr bump.

Ive seen a couple other threads with folks saying they have this problem, but no solutions.
cebalrai

Post by cebalrai »

Shameless 72 hour bump. :roll:
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

cebalrai wrote:I recently installed Mint 9 on a new computer I built. The install seemed to go fine.

But usually when I boot, it only boots to a black screen and a terminal. I then have to start the GUI manually. Strangely this happens about 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time everything starts just fine.

Make or reconfigure a xorg.conf file..

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=44871
cebalrai

Post by cebalrai »

oobetimer wrote:
cebalrai wrote:I recently installed Mint 9 on a new computer I built. The install seemed to go fine.

Make or reconfigure a xorg.conf file..

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=44871
Strangely this problem seems to have resolved itself. Over time it became less and less common for the computer to boot into a black screen with terminal. I dont think it has been a problem in maybe the last ten boots....

:?:

Return to “Beginner Questions”