KDE, XFCE vs others

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NimaSepassi

KDE, XFCE vs others

Post by NimaSepassi »

So what's so great about KDE and XFCE? What are each one's benefits over Gnome?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xubunterooster

Re: KDE, XFCE vs others

Post by xubunterooster »

Xfce is lighter and has the ability to show the menu when you right-click the background and (as I remember) KDE is heavier but has more eyecandy.
bigBuckets

Post by bigBuckets »

xubunterooster

Post by xubunterooster »

alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

Is there any loss of apparent functionality in Mint when you choose xfce release instead of standard gnome release.
(Of course everything can be done via shell and config files - but my question was more about GUI and graphical applications)
xubunterooster

Post by xubunterooster »

Dual booting both (for testing) I see no real difference in how they work
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

Ok, so I take it as: detection, installation and configuration of hardware, software etc will be same - its only the look and feel that changes (like changing theme).
Leit

Post by Leit »

alpha1 wrote:Ok, so I take it as: detection, installation and configuration of hardware, software etc will be same - its only the look and feel that changes (like changing theme).
some of the software changes too(especially between KDE and GNOME), but such things, like installing Hardware, mounting it and so should be nearly the same, also in installing software there shouldn't be a big different.
I may be wrong, but i thought the packet-manager has a bit different look, between the versions (more than the "normal" window differences).
Something else is it with the hardware requirements. KDE uses a bit more of your resources, than GNOME does, while XFCE is a very lightweight Windowmanager, but at this point I prefer LXDE ^^

greetings, Leit
Mr. Alex

Post by Mr. Alex »

NimaSepassi wrote:So what's so great about KDE and XFCE? What are each one's benefits over Gnome?

Thanks
Do you prefer Gnome? :)
Robin

Post by Robin »

Xfce in Mint (especially Mint 7) has been lots faster than Gnome on my old hand-me-down machine. It's kinda sorta like what "Gnome Lite" would be if there was such a thing.

I tried a bunch of different DEs (Openbox, LXDE, KDE, Gnome, and Xfce) before choosing a favorite. For me Xfce is the right balance of functionality with simplicity and speed. Your mileage may vary, and you just have to try them out and see which is best for you. Don't rush it, give yourself time to really experience each one. It took a year for me to pick a favorite, and I had fun all along the way.

Enjoying Xfce,
Robin
NimaSepassi

Post by NimaSepassi »

Mr. Alex wrote:
NimaSepassi wrote:So what's so great about KDE and XFCE? What are each one's benefits over Gnome?

Thanks
I haven't really tried any other Linux GUIs. Well, maybe KDE some ten years ago. But it was only for a second, it felt bulky and cartoony. Trying it (them) now would waste blank CDs. Also I'm not even sure Isadora has KDE, XFCE or LXDE versions for that matter.

BTW, does anyone know of a side by side comparison chart/matrix for these four? Something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... vironments but more about advantages and disadvantages of each, not just which one uses what.

Thanks
bigBuckets

Post by bigBuckets »

NimaSepassi wrote:
Mr. Alex wrote:

Thanks
I haven't really tried any other Linux GUIs. Well, maybe KDE some ten years ago. But it was only for a second, it felt bulky and cartoony. Trying it (them) now would waste blank CDs. Also I'm not even sure Isadora has KDE, XFCE or LXDE versions for that matter.

BTW, does anyone know of a side by side comparison chart/matrix for these four? Something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... vironments but more about advantages and disadvantages of each, not just which one uses what.

Thanks
Do you have any CD-RW discs or a USB drive? You can also install Virtualbox and try them out that way.
There's a RC for Mint 9 LXDE out now. I'm running it on my netbook.

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1429
xubunterooster

Post by xubunterooster »

NimaSepassi wrote:I haven't really tried any other Linux GUIs. Well, maybe KDE some ten years ago. But it was only for a second, it felt bulky and cartoony. Trying it (them) now would waste blank CDs. Also I'm not even sure Isadora has KDE, XFCE or LXDE versions for that matter.

Thanks
If you add a DE you can log out and specify a new one when logging back in, no need for CDs or reinstallations.
Mr. Alex

Post by Mr. Alex »

NimaSepassi wrote:
Mr. Alex wrote:

Thanks
I tried KDE, Gnome, Xfce. And IMHO if you're fine with Gnome, you don't really need to use anything else. KDE is not better just because it has more options and looks prettier. It's unstable and hard on computer resources.

P. S. But after all it depends on what you like better. :)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Everyone's got an opinion. I start with the main version of a distro and add different desktop environments and window managers to log into. That way I can see for myself which ones I like to use.

Mepis is a KDE distro, but I'm using Xfce there. I have the main (GNOME) version of Mint, and I have added KDE and LXDE, but in the end I set up Openbox and I'm using that most of the time in Mint.

I agree with xubunterooster, there's no need to install different versions when you can just install the environment and then log into it. But to each his own -- some people prefer to do things one way, some people another.
m1k3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m1k3 »

Robin wrote:Xfce in Mint (especially Mint 7) has been lots faster than Gnome on my old hand-me-down machine. It's kinda sorta like what "Gnome Lite" would be if there was such a thing.

I tried a bunch of different DEs (Openbox, LXDE, KDE, Gnome, and Xfce) before choosing a favorite. For me Xfce is the right balance of functionality with simplicity and speed. Your mileage may vary, and you just have to try them out and see which is best for you. Don't rush it, give yourself time to really experience each one. It took a year for me to pick a favorite, and I had fun all along the way.

Enjoying Xfce,
Robin
Agreed. I've tried them all. I stick with mintified Xfce now.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

OK, I'll just reverse the question...
  • ...What are each one's benefits over KDE?
I used KDE DE (Desktop Environment/desktop manager) for a long time, since I mainly used Suse and Red Hat; now that I have been using Mint from about version 7.xx onwards, and now lxde (isadora ~ Mint 9) version, I have more or less gotten used to the Gnome style

That doesn't mean, I don't see value in the KDE desktop, although you can see, that I have gone lighter by using lxde
--and do miss the control panel/center and menu editing that is available in a full featured desktop, such as KDE or Gnome.

I think best/advantages over depends on who you ask (and based on how you pose the question, I'll just assume a Gnome fan)
--both Desktops (KDE and Gnome) being the main grouping available have good and bad points; they borrow back and forth from each other and are both part of the freedesktop.org group (for interoperability)

It is also a populist notion:
Is KDE up or down compared to Gnome
--this often is propelled by distributor choices of desktop, so Suse (Novell) went Gnome; probably because they hired one of the main Gnome developers who also wants everyone to use Mono (his project) to get the Microsoft .net framework working in Linux

Anyone will be able to make a list of features/functions and a whole statistic on which one does it best/better, but that is as likely to be merely opinion as any off-the-cuff statement, whether the author is a professional evaluator or not
  • KDE is the best desktop
    --here's why
    Gnome is the best desktop
    --here's why

Return to “Beginner Questions”