Mint 8 Broken

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shabadu

Mint 8 Broken

Post by shabadu »

A few days ago, the MintUpdate has having issues installing an OpenOffice update. I would never finish. I tried to run the update via the CLI and that didn't work. Then I tried via Synaptic. Still no good. I shutdown and when it went to reboot it won't. I tried booting into the recovery mode but I keep getting a bunch of gobblelygook which ends with

Code: Select all

*Starting init crypto disks...
*could not access PID file for nmdb
Anybody have any ideas on how I can fix this?

I've used Puppylinux to access the files in the partition and they all appear to be intact.

Help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revdjenk

Re: Mint 8 Broken

Post by revdjenk »

shabadu,

I see that this has gone unanswered since Tuesday, and I apologize that you have not received an answer.

Where are you on this? Have you been able to reboot? Have you done a reinstallation (hopefully with your data on a separate /home partition or using Puppy to save your data elsewhere)?

God Bless
Doug
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 8 Broken

Post by feed3 »

quick googling lead me to this..
take note at the part
Found that by removing quiet and splash from the grub boot entry I could boot up OK again
and
I had almost the same problem of "Could not access PID file for nmbd" (except that I could enter a root shell) and removing only splash option in /boot/grub/menu.lst solved it,
dont know if it can help you in any way but i do hope it does so you can continue MINTing together with us here.. good luck.. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”