SOLVED: Spotify has suddenly stopped working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deeplyconfused

SOLVED: Spotify has suddenly stopped working

Post by deeplyconfused »

Please help!

I had Spotify running under Wine - and all was working fine until today. The application opens, but I can't hear any sound.

I am running Mint 8 (Main) and are using Wine 1.0.1. I have the OSS sound driver selected under the audio tab in the Wine settings - but have tried all of the driver settings (this proved to be the issue when I had probems initially installing Spotify).

Many thanks!

Ben
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Spotify has suddenly stopped working

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello deeplyconfused,
On the Spotify site http://www.spotify.com/int/help/faq/wine/ they mention a Wine forum
There may be some useful information there.
Sad to say I never managed to get Spotify working for more than a few minutes in Mint 8,but since I installed Mint 9 it has been working correctly.
deeplyconfused

Post by deeplyconfused »

Thanks for that, I'll look. I'm not sure if I can face upgrading to 9 just yet.

It seemed to coincide with me upgrading to premium Spotify. I wonder if the higher bitrate is causing Wine problems?
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

I've only ever used the free version so I don't know for sure if the premium version can cause problems,but if the upgrade was followed immediately by a problem you never had before it appears the two may be connected.
I can only suggest have a good look at the Spotify site and at any extra information that may have been provided for the premium version,if there is nothing useful there have a look on Ubuntu Forums,Mint is based on Ubuntu so solutions for Ubuntu problems often work for Mint problems.
deeplyconfused

Re: SOLVED: Spotify has suddenly stopped working

Post by deeplyconfused »

I've got it working. For the record this is how I did it:

Uninstall Spotify
Uninstall Wine
Restart the machine
Reinstall Wine
In Wine configuration under the audio tab I selected the EsounD Driver, full hardware acceleration, a default sample rate of 44100, and 16 default bits per sample. I left driver emulation unticked.
Installed the Spotify and it worked????

Anyways - many thanks for the help. I'm now a happy bunny :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”