CLI learning tool.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blue_sky

CLI learning tool.

Post by blue_sky »

Is there an application or widget that will show the CLI entries in a separate window, as I click on something in the GUI. Or some sort of "live" terminal view so I can see the results of my GUI clicks, and make the connection between GUI and CLI, and hopefully learn the Linux CLI language a bit faster.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: CLI learning tool.

Post by MALsPa »

That would be a nice thing to have. The closest I've seen is the terminal emulator in Konqueror, but that really doesn't do what you're looking for.
blue_sky

Post by blue_sky »

MALsPa wrote:That would be a nice thing to have.
Yes it would, I want to get away from mindlessly pointing and clicking, and learn the code behind the clicks. It would add some great instant feedback. My last experience with code was with BASIC, back in the early 80's, and then I got lazy thanks to the GUI. :)
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

I am unaware of such an application, and I would think one does not exist. The linux command line is SO much more than just a reflection of gui commands. Many many servers run very powerful stuff without a graphical interface at all. Better to learn about it in its own right I would suggest.

This link has some very good cli tutorial stuff including cheat-sheet links:

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/cli.html

hope this helps.
rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

blue_sky wrote:My last experience with code was with BASIC
Hey, I worked a bit with BASIC, back around 1980! Later, used qBasic around the early '90s, and I think it was close to the same stuff.
rhodry wrote:Better to learn about it in its own right I would suggest.
That might be the best advice. Just keep trying things, keep using it. I only had bits and pieces of programming experience over the years (like with BASIC, as mentioned earlier) but you'll find that the things you learned back then will help you out with the Linux command line. A lot of the same kinds of principles apply.
blue_sky

Post by blue_sky »

^^So you remember saving your code to a cassette tape (TRS-80) :D
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I remember using computer punch cards. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”