Graphic drivers requires packages, how to check/install them

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Znote

Graphic drivers requires packages, how to check/install them

Post by Znote »

Hello.

I have Radeon HD5850 graphic card in my computer.

I want to install the Linux drivers, and the manual says that I need these packages in order to install it properly:

XFree86-Mesa-libGL
libstdc++
libgcc
XFree86-libs
fontconfig
freetype
zlib
gcc

How can I check that I got this and how can I install it?

I tried to do sudo apt-get install XFree86-Mesa-libGL

in the terminal and it says package not found.

Is there a way to check if I already have these packages?

They also say I should uninstall the default drivers I got from installing the OS. Is this neccesary? It seem to be rather bothersome, and I am afraid the interface will be ******* up so I won't be able to do anything once I have uninstalled the default drivers.

I use LinuxMint 9 AMD64
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Znote

Re: Graphic drivers requires packages, how to check/install

Post by Znote »

Ok I installed HD5850 drivers version 10.5 and I didn't find any erorrs under installation.

However then I tried to play Heroes of Newerth and I got this problem:

They made an error log but I can't locate it. It says it saved in brannfjell/.heroes of newerth/game but a folder named .Heroes of Newerth does not exist, but there is folder named HoN and when I enter it I see folder named "game" but I cant find crash log there either. :(

Sorry im a newfag. :(

This happen after I installed driver version 10.5 for HD5850 graphic card driver.

Before I could run it, but graphics was horrible and it was lagging like ****. And prolly eventually crashed, I did alt F4 and not sure if thats what killed the program or if it was something else.

In Windows 7 this goes super fast.
Last edited by Oscar799 on Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for language
beefstu

Re: Graphic drivers requires packages, how to check/install

Post by beefstu »

Try this

Code: Select all

cd ~/.Heroes\ of\ Newerth/game
the termianlndoes not like spaces in things. Alternatively

Code: Select all

cd~/"Heros of Newerth"/game
how did you install the drivers in the end? Were they not in the hardware drivers In the mint menu?

Return to “Beginner Questions”