Installed mint 9 and win XP wont boot from menu

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paulG

Re: Installed mint 9 and win XP wont boot from menu

Post by paulG »

If I tried using "lilo" will that erase grub? I don't want to erase grub, I want to leave grub as it is and fix or restore windows MBR. I want to be able to boot either into linux or windows, but currently windows will not boot, just pauses during loading screen.

I guess i'll have to find someone with a usb optical drive so I can try using the windows xp cd to fix the MBR.

Does anyone know if fixing the MBR via XP cd erase grub as well?
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

paulG wrote:If I tried using "lilo" will that erase grub? I don't want to erase grub, I want to leave grub as it is and fix or restore windows MBR. I want to be able to boot either into linux or windows, but currently windows will not boot, just pauses during loading screen.

I guess i'll have to find someone with a usb optical drive so I can try using the windows xp cd to fix the MBR.

Does anyone know if fixing the MBR via XP cd erase grub as well?
1. Boot PC on the XP-CD

2. Choose R (recover)

Code: Select all

1: C:\WINDOWS

.....Enter --> 1 --> give password if it is needed

C:\WINDOWS>fixmbr

.....the answer = y

exit
Grub disappears at the same time..

You can do "fixmbr" using ms-sys program via Mint also..

http://ms-sys.sourceforge.net/
Canard blanc

Post by Canard blanc »

Lilo replaces grub and only boots the Windows partition... :?

It may be that Windows XP is somehow damaged, and you may need to repair it.

If that is the case, GRUB cannot boot a damaged Windows OS.

Windows has repair options on its install CD, but, repairs of XP can also be done from Linux Live CDs, like Mint and Ubuntu.
Last edited by Canard blanc on Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Canard blanc wrote:Lilo replaces grub and only boots the Windows partition... :?
If you use LILO, there should be a bootable partition inside 8 GB..

http://linux-sxs.org/administration/limits.html

Return to “Beginner Questions”