How to revert to Thunderbird 2.0.0.24

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
runbei

How to revert to Thunderbird 2.0.0.24

Post by runbei »

I'm finding Thunderbird 3.x really buggy. I'd like to revert to 2.0.0.24. I downloaded the .tgz file for 2.0.0.24 and extracted it to its own folder under ~/home.

Now, when I go into the folder where the files were extracted and try to do ./configure, I get an error message:

Code: Select all

bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
Well, this is the noobie forum, and I'm wondering what to do next. I know I'll have to run make also. And I'd like to integrate Thunderbird in the Mint Menu.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thenewguy

Re: How to revert to Thunderbird 2.0.0.24

Post by thenewguy »

In the Thunderbird directory type

ls -l configure

If configure is listed, it might not have execute permission and you'll have to fix that with

chmod 755 configure

Then try running "./configure" again.

If the ls -l command doesn't find a configure script at all, then maybe Thunderbird doesn't use one? (I haven't tried compiling Thunderbird, so I'm not sure.) Try running "make" and see what happens.
runbei

Re: How to revert to Thunderbird 2.0.0.24

Post by runbei »

Thanks. The ls- l command didn't find a configure file, and make returns:

Code: Select all

make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
Searched Mozillazine and Mint forums but haven't found instructions for installing TB from a tgz file. Maybe it's one of those apps you just move to the home folder and jury-rig to the Mint Menu and there you go? Except I tried running the thunderbird executable and a .sh file in the thunderbird folder and nothing happens. ?

Return to “Beginner Questions”