How to install .tar.gz file..

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shekkieface

How to install .tar.gz file..

Post by shekkieface »

I downloaded the program airsnort-0.2.7 and inside the folder I clicked the file install and it gave me this:
" The following should be all you need to make airsnort:

./configure
make
make install

Good luck "

This is what I did and had no luck.
in terminal I did this cd /home/jason/Desktop/airsnort-0.2.7
./configure
make
then I get the error no targets specified and no makefile found. stop.

I do not know what to do next. I tried doing this as root, but same problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: How to install .tar.gz file..

Post by vincent »

If you can't get airsnort to work, you could simply use the aircrack suite instead, it can be found in Synaptic or installed from a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install aircrack-ng
shekkieface

Post by shekkieface »

I typed that into the terminal, but I can't find the program anywhere.
vincent

Post by vincent »

It's a command-line based program, so you're going to have to start reading some man pages and doing some research; a good place to start is http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=getting_started

Return to “Beginner Questions”