logical sector size of 2048 not fully supported

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BillyTheFish

logical sector size of 2048 not fully supported

Post by BillyTheFish »

I used to run Windows XP and have only recently made the move to Linux.

In XP I set up my PC to run the system off a small, fast harddrive and had a 4TB RAID 6 drive (6 disks controlled by an Areca RAID card) for storage (Rips of my CDs, Rips of my DVDs, software, backups, etc).

I'm really enjoying Linux Mint and have decided that it's definitely here to stay on my PC but I have a bit of a dilemma with my RAID 6 drive.

When I installed it in windows XP I recall, (it was a while ago) that I had to install it with a non-standard logical sector size in order to get a disk that large recognised by XP. I seem to remember that the Linux Mint installer flashed up something like "logical sector size of 2048 not fully supported" and that it was "highly experimental" when I installed it.

My questions are:

1) Will I have any problems using this highly experimental, not fully supported option?
2) How can I find out my actual logical sector size?
3) Is there any way for me to convert my drive to the standard logical sector size (what is this, by the way?) without copying everything off, wiping and re-copying back (I don't really have the money to buy another set of harddrives to copy that amount of data to)?
4) Is there any way for me to convert from ntfs to ext without copying everything off and back again?
5) Which version of ext is most recommended?

I am using the latest version of Mint with all the latest updates (level 3 and below) installed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
piratesmack

Re: logical sector size of 2048 not fully supported

Post by piratesmack »

EDIT:
My bad
Last edited by piratesmack on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillyTheFish

Post by BillyTheFish »

Thanks but I already have Mint installed. It's the large (separate) RAID storage volume that's currently NTFS that I'm worried about.

Any suggestions?
BillyTheFish

Post by BillyTheFish »

Anyone?
BillyTheFish

Post by BillyTheFish »

No-one? I guess the best way is to buy some more harddrives, copy over the data, switch to the normal logical sector size, format into EXT and then copy back?

It's going to be a while before I can afford new, bigger harddrives though. Will having a logical sector size of 2048 and ntfs cause me problems or corruption in the meantime?

Return to “Beginner Questions”