I don't know how to connect to the IRC chat room.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
puppetless

I don't know how to connect to the IRC chat room.

Post by puppetless »

My computer is a Samsung N220 netbook with the windows operating system preinstalled. I am wanting to install the linux mint operating system in an hour or two. I downloaded the ''Introduction to Linux Mint'' user guide that was on the front page of linuxmint.com. In there it says:

''If you want to chat with other users you can connect to the IRC chat room..........If you’re using another operating system or another IRC client make sure to connect to the “irc.spotchat.org” server and to join the channels “#linuxmint-help” and “#linuxmint-chat”.''

Well, I typed irc.spotchat.org into my browser address box and went there. When I got there, the screen was blank, apart from the message: ''It works!'' I tried adding ''#linuxmint-help'' to irc.spotchat.org, but nothing happened. Obviously, I am not connecting to ircspotchat.org in the right way, but how do I do so?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I don't know how to connect to the IRC chat room.

Post by det4100 »

irc.spotchat.org is an IRC server. You should try connecting to the IRC server with an IRC client such as XChat IRC or some other IRC client. After connecting to the server, then join the #linuxmint-help channel. Unless you have some sort of java IRC client plugin for your browser, typing in the server address won't get you connected in a way to join a channel.

BTW the "#" character stands for Channel. So when you join a channel, you type join #linuxmint-help

Be patient when asking for help. Even though it appears that there are a lot of folks on the channel, most of them are not at their keyboard. (Or most likely fell asleep and are drooling on their keyboard)

ikey just did an excellent little post on the subject, check it out:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=47779

Good luck

det4100
det4100

Running Mint Debian
puppetless

Post by puppetless »

Ok, so you're saying I have to get an IRC ''client''. And I have to do that by downloading an IRC client, right?
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

mIRC is an IRC client for windows, It used to be free, as in beer, don't know if it still is, or if even still exists.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

ikey wrote:
dawgdoc wrote:EDIT: Btw, X-Chat also exists for Windows, you can get an unofficial build if you look around (silverex I think it was)
Confirmed. I friend of mine uses this to connect to IRC on Windows and it appears to work fine.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Just boot from the linux mint live cd and use the Xchat client on it. Also, if you have any hiccups or questions, can ask while actually doing the install also. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

Return to “Beginner Questions”