changing network settings causes all commands to fail

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chucklepie

changing network settings causes all commands to fail

Post by chucklepie »

Hello,
When I change my network adapter settings, e.g. altering ip address, etc. all commands from the shell fail to work, e.g.:

neil@dev ~ $ cd /
bash: cd /: No such file or directory

If I type 'ifconfig' it returns my ip address, but if I supply any properties the same thing happens:

neil@dev ~ $ ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 down: command not found

it's really, really annoying as all I can do is reboot. I'm testing various networks and connecting to different systems so have to do this.

Anyone know what I do to fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwevej

Re: changing network settings causes all commands to fail

Post by kwevej »

huh, very strange.
Could you grep your logs for some errors and post that here?
chucklepie

Re: changing network settings causes all commands to fail

Post by chucklepie »

Hello,
I don't exactly know what I'm looking for so attached is my syslog and messages from /var/log folder.

Note, while using the shell fails for all commands I can still use file browser to navigate, etc. This also happens if I leave my linux machine running for a few days not doing much.

[edit]Why has it cut my message off and failed to upload my attachments?

Return to “Beginner Questions”