Microphone problem.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blue_sky

Microphone problem.

Post by blue_sky »

I am having a hard time getting my microphone working in 8, Audio out is working fine. I've tinkered with the Sound Preferences, and it shows under Hardware Installed, "Internal Audio, 1 output/1 input, Analog Stereo Duplex". I have also tinkered with the Input settings, and occasionally have the test bar react with audio input, but the Skype test call service does not record any audio. I have had the same issue with both a USB webcam and a standard headset plugged directly into the audio device. I have also tried to record using the LM8 sound recorder, no joy.

Any suggestions?
Audio: Card ATI IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.20
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Microphone problem.

Post by vincent »

Open up a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

alsamixer
Hopefully it'll work once you turn the microphone up a bit.
blue_sky

Post by blue_sky »

Thanks for the reply,

How do I turn it up? Here is a screen shot of the results of terminal command you provided.

http://imgur.com/B36D4.png
vincent

Post by vincent »

Use the left and right arrow keys to navigate the different categories, and use the up and down arrow keys to turn the volume up or down respectively.
blue_sky

Post by blue_sky »

Thanks! I have adjusted all the levels available up, and can see audio input on the input graph with both the headset and the wecam, but still no joy using Skype. The three levels that are still set at zero are "non-adjustable" for me.

Here is a screen shot.

http://imgur.com/hj1yU.png
vincent

Post by vincent »

In your Sound preferences window, I can see that Mint does indeed recognize sound coming into the microphone...so it's not a hardware recognition problem, it's a problem directly related to Skype. I don't use Skype, so I don't really know what you have to do to fix it. Perhaps wait 'til somebody more knowledgable about Skype comes along here, or ask directly on the Skype forums?
blue_sky

Post by blue_sky »

or ask directly on the Skype forums?
I'll do that, thanks again for the help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”