How to delete a password on the login screen?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shekkieface

How to delete a password on the login screen?

Post by shekkieface »

In windows you have to boot into safe mode and goto the administrator account and delete the users login password to change it or delete the password.
But how do I do a similar process with linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: How to delete a password on the login screen?

Post by JasonLG »

Mint Menu> Control Center> Users and Groups. You can't not have a password in Linux.
Cheesethief

Post by Cheesethief »

JasonLG wrote:Mint Menu> Control Center> Users and Groups. You can't not have a password in Linux.
Yep. The only thing you can do is disable the password as a requirement to log in, or disable the login menu so it just goes to your desktop. That's how I have mine set up.
shekkieface

Post by shekkieface »

Those answers are assuming you know the password to login to the system. What if you don't know the password and you can't recover it.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

shekkieface wrote:Those answers are assuming you know the password to login to the system. What if you don't know the password and you can't recover it.
You could try this tutorial, it's for Ubuntu but might work in Mint since Mint is derived from Ubuntu.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Edit: This might not work after all because Mint actually uses the same password for root as the one you login as.

Return to “Beginner Questions”