Unable to mount /home at boot [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BeakersHelper

Unable to mount /home at boot [Solved]

Post by BeakersHelper »

Hello everyone,

I am running Linux Mint 9 (64bit) on a dual boot laptop alongside Windows 7.

I have recently encountered a problem and although my default solution would to just re-install Linux Mint again (well it is a very easy process), on this occasion, I would like to attempt to resolve it. The issue I have is when I try to boot into LM, the disks are scanned and it is reported that there is serious disk error and the partition /home cannot be mounted. I am then given the option to Ignore, Skip Mount or Manual Recovery. Selecting any of the options the causes the computer to freeze and i have to do a hard reboot to get back into the boot menu.

If anyone knows if such an issue can be resolved, please let me know.

Cheers,

Nick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revdjenk

Re: Unable to mount /home at boot

Post by revdjenk »

BeakersHelper,

Do you still have your livecd of mint? I would use this to boot and then check the status of your Mint partitions. especially /home. You could save any data you can access to a usb memory. You may then use the partitioner to reformat/repartition your /home.

This is what I would suggest.

God Bless
Doug
BeakersHelper

Re: Unable to mount /home at boot [Solved]

Post by BeakersHelper »

Hi Doug,

thank you for your suggestion. I booted from the Live CD and used Gparted to scan each of my partitions. Although no errors were reported, Linux Mint booted up as normal when I restarted the computer. Not sure how Gparted fixed it but it did the trick.

Thank you again for replying to my post,

Best wishes,

Nick
revdjenk

Re: Unable to mount /home at boot [Solved]

Post by revdjenk »

:)

Return to “Beginner Questions”