[SOLVED] Networking issue confusion

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Networking issue confusion

Post by Reljoy »

I have a desktop dual booting Windows XP and Linux Mint 8.
I have a laptop dual booting Windows XP and Linux Mint 9.

When I am in Mint (either machine) I can very easily see (and access) all the Windows computers in the house and their shares (can be up to 4 of them).
If I am on the laptop in Mint 9 and the desktop is in Win XP I can easily see the Windows shares and access them from the laptop.
If I am on the desktop in Mint 8 and the laptop is in Win XP I can easily see the Windows shares and access them from the desktop.

Question1.
If I boot both up into Linux Mint, I can see and access the Mint Public folder no problem at all on the other computer from either one.
On the laptop (running Mint 9), I can access the Linux shares I set up on the desktop in Mint 8.
On the deskopt (running Mint 8 ), I can not access the Linux shares I set up on the laptop in Mint 9.
Why?

Question2.
Since these computers are dual booting, they both have Windows XP partitions on them.
I have (while in Linux Mint) set up shares on the Windows partitions on both the laptop and the desktop. I set these shares using Nautilus file browser and I left the ticks off for
* Allow others to create and delete files AND
* Guest access.
When both computers are booted up into Linux Mint I can access the Windows shares on the desktop from the laptop but
I can not access the Windows shares on the laptop from the desktop. I get asked for the password but it is not accepted.
Why?

When I am on the desktop in Mint 8, and I go to Nautilus and click on Network, I see several icons of computers -
* Windows Domain Controller
* Printer
* Linux Mint 8 Desktop
* Windows XP desktop that is dual booting with Linux Mint 8 (yes, same computer)
* Other Windows XP computers (depending if they are turned on or not).
There is also a Windows Network icon which I have to use to see the Mint laptop.

When I am on the laptop in Mint 9, and I go to Nautilus and click on Network, I see several icons of computers -
* Printer
* Linux Mint 9 Laptop
There is also a Windows Network icon which I have to use to see the Mint desktop. I can also use it to see the
* Other Windows XP computers (depending if they are turned on or not).

Question3. Why can't the two Linux Mint computers see each other without having to go via the Windows Network icon?

Just a further clarification. I have set a static IP address on my Linux Mint 8 desktop.

Question4. I searched this forum but could not find any post that was similar to mine. Surely, this must be a fairly common issue though. Can anyone please point me to a forum link or web link that covers my questions well?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Networking issue confusion

Post by altair4 »

When I saw this I was tempted to not respond because this is beyond my pay grade,.
When I am on the desktop in Mint 8, and I go to Nautilus and click on Network, I see several icons of computers -
But let's start with one easy questions ...
Question3. Why can't the two Linux Mint computers see each other without having to go via the Windows Network icon?

Because you're using Samba. Samba is the reversed engineered SMB Windows protocol.
Question2.
Since these computers are dual booting, they both have Windows XP partitions on them.
I have (while in Linux Mint) set up shares on the Windows partitions on both the laptop and the desktop. I set these shares using Nautilus file browser and I left the ticks off for
* Allow others to create and delete files AND
* Guest access.
When both computers are booted up into Linux Mint I can access the Windows shares on the desktop from the laptop but
I can not access the Windows shares on the laptop from the desktop. I get asked for the password but it is not accepted.
Samba determines what a remote guest MAY do.
Linux file permissions determines what a remote guest CAN do.
SO the question is how are you mounting the windows partition. If you're mounting it through Places then it will mount so only you have access and no one else. There's two ways to fix it: either mount it with the right permissions or use smb.conf itself to turn the remote user to you. How are you mounting the windows partition?
On the desktop (running Mint 8 ), I can not access the Linux shares I set up on the laptop in Mint 9.
Why?
Define "not access". Cannot see the box, can see the box but cannot see the share, or can see both but are denied entry?
From Mint9 please post the output of the following commands:

Code: Select all

net usershare info
sudo net usershare info
testparm -s
EDIT: Sorry made some changes here. Hit the "Submit" button instead of the "Preview" button.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reljoy »

OK, it is obvious that there is a lot I don't know or understand.

I've heard of Samba - but Mint did not ask me if I wanted to use Samba or some other method of networking - so I didn't choose to use Samba. Is there a better way?
Samba determines what a remote guest MAY do.
SO the question is how are you mounting the windows partition. If you're mounting it through Places then it will mount so only you have access and no one else. There's two ways to fix it: either mount it with the right permissions or use smb.conf itself to turn the remote user to you. How are you mounting the windows partition?
I don't understand the question...
how are you mounting the windows partition?
How do I know which way I have mounted it?
And I don't understand...
Samba determines what a remote guest MAY do, and
Define "not access". Cannot see the box, can see the box but cannot see the share, or can see both but are denied entry?
I can see the share but it asks for a password and domain and wont accept what I put in.
The laptop is using domain WORKGROUP. The desktop is using domain HOME. I am using the exact same username and password on both the laptop and the desktop. When I am on the laptop in Mint 9, I can access the Linux shares on my desktop but not the other way around.
From Mint9 please post the output of the following commands:
net usershare info

rperrett@Mint-Laptop ~ $ net usershare info
[public]
path=/home/rperrett/Public
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
guest_ok=y

info_fn: file /var/lib/samba/usershares/library is not a well formed usershare file.
info_fn: Error was Path is not a directory.
info_fn: file /var/lib/samba/usershares/johnbethlap is not a well formed usershare file.
info_fn: Error was Path is not a directory.
sudo net usershare info

rperrett@Mint-Laptop ~ $ sudo net usershare info
[sudo] password for rperrett: 
rperrett@Mint-Laptop ~ $ 
testparm -s

rperrett@Mint-Laptop ~ $ testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
	server string = %h server (Samba, LinuxMint)
	map to guest = Bad User
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
	unix password sync = Yes
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	dns proxy = No
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No
	browsable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers
rperrett@Mint-Laptop ~ $ 
Thanks for your time on this.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I've heard of Samba - but Mint did not ask me if I wanted to use Samba or some other method of networking - so I didn't choose to use Samba. Is there a better way?
When you right click on a folder you own and select "Sharing Options" you're using something called Nautilus-share. Nautilus-share is Samba. Samba was designed to communicate with Windows machines. The alternative to Samba is NFS but Windows does not support NFS natively so something will have to be bolted onto Windows to make it work. I personally don't like the idea of adding a non native networking protocol to Windows.
How do I know which way I have mounted it?
You may have just answered the question. You can edit a file at /etc/fstab to have your non-system partitions automount at boot or you can bring up Nautilus and click on the non mounted partition to mount it. By your question I'm guessing that you're doing the latter.
Something doesn't make sense in your posts:
I have (while in Linux Mint) set up shares on the Windows partitions on both the laptop and the desktop. I set these shares using Nautilus file browser
net usershare info
testparm -s
Should have shown all your shares on the Mint9 machine. You don't have any shares of Windows partitions unless you're mounting them to /home/rperrett/Public and I don't think you are. Try to share the Windows partition again on the Mint9 machine.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reljoy »

You can edit a file at /etc/fstab to have your non-system partitions automount at boot
I didn't understand that at all.
Try to share the Windows partition again on the Mint9 machine.
Do you mean how I did before using
Menu > Computer > click on 160GB Hard disk > Documents and Settings > rperrett > My Documents > My Pictures >
right click on the one I want to share and choose 'Sharing Options'?
I did that and it showed as shared. So I removed the share and then shared it again. I called it 'JohnBethWed'.
No tick on allowing guest access and no tick on allowing others to create files.

net usershare info

rperrett@Mint-Laptop ~ $ net usershare info
[public]
path=/home/rperrett/Public
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
guest_ok=y

[johnbethwed]
path=/media/System/Documents and Settings/rperrett/My Documents/My Pictures/2010_06_05 John & Beth Wedding
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:R,
guest_ok=n

[library]
path=/media/System/Documents and Settings/lynette/My Documents/Library
comment=
guest_ok=n

[musiclaptop]
path=/home/rperrett/Music
comment=
guest_ok=n

testparm -s

rperrett@Mint-Laptop ~ $ testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
	map to guest = Bad User
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
	unix password sync = Yes
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	dns proxy = No
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No
	browsable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers
Same as before, from the Mint 8 desktop, I can see the share 'JohnBethWed' but I can't get into it. I'm asked to supply a username, domain and password. Nothing I try works. I have used the same username and password on both Mint computers. The domain for the laptop is WORKGROUP and the desktop, HOME.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

From the Mint9 machine:

In a terminal type:

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
Add the following line in the [global] section of smb.conf:

force user = rperrett
Save the file, exit gedit, and back in the terminal type:

sudo service smbd restart
While still in the terminal create a samba user:

sudo smbpasswd -a rperrett
It will first ask you for sudo's password then it will ask you for a samba password for rperrett.

When the remote user is asked for a username and password it will be rperrett and whatever password you set using smbpasswd.
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reljoy »

I did what you said... Dont think it worked though.

rperrett@Mint-Laptop ~ $ gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
rperrett@Mint-Laptop ~ $ sudo service smbd restart
smbd start/running, process 1921
rperrett@Mint-Laptop ~ $ sudo smbpasswd -a rperret
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to add entry for user rperret.
rperrett@Mint-Laptop ~ $ 

[global]

## Browsing/Identification ###

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
   workgroup = WORKGROUP

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS Server
#   wins support = no

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
# Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# This will prevent nmbd to search for NetBIOS names through DNS.
   dns proxy = no

# What naming service and in what order should we use to resolve host names
# to IP addresses
;   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
force user = rperrett
It will first ask you for sudo's password then it will ask you for a samba password for rperrett.
I only got asked for my smb password - I presume because I had already been asked for my su password in
gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
I made the password for smb the same as my user log in p/w. Was that what stopped it from working?
Maybe I should go back to Mint 8. It didn't seem to give me the trouble that Mint 9 has. (eg Major prob even getting it to boot up properly - finally, with help, got it working - but lost the nice green colour on grub)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Don't mean to be a smart@$$ but it looks like you made a typo on your own user name:
rperrett@Mint-Laptop ~ $ sudo smbpasswd -a rperret
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to add entry for user rperret.
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reljoy »

lol
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reljoy »

Hey - it works!
Thanks! That is great!
I wonder why Mint 8 worked fine and Mint 9 had to be fiddled with to make it work.
Can you tell me what this line does?
force user = rperrett
What if someone else logged in on the desktop in Mint. Would the share on the laptop then work for them? Or would it only work for me?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I wonder why Mint 8 worked fine and Mint 9 had to be fiddled with to make it work.
This has nothing to do with Mint but with our Ubuntu overlords. They changed the way an NTFS partition is mounted - at least the way you're mounting them. Let me see if I can explain this. When you did this:
Menu > Computer > click on 160GB Hard disk > Documents and Settings > rperrett > My Documents > My Pictures > right click on the one I want to share and choose 'Sharing Options'
Menu > Computer > click on 160GB Hard disk. When you do this part you are mounting the partition.
In Mint8 it mounts with root as owner but with read / write permissions to everyone. I'm Mint9 it mounts with you as owner with read/write access to you but with no access whatsoever to anyone else. You've got two options to correct this. Either add a line in fstab to mount it with different permissions or add the force user line.
Can you tell me what this line does?
force user = rperrett
"force user" will act as a mask and convert any remote user to you as far as the permissions on the target share are concerned.
What if someone else logged in on the desktop in Mint. Would the share on the laptop then work for them? Or would it only work for me?
The only way to access the share at this point is with username: rperrett and with his samba password. Doesn't matter who that is or where he / she is located.
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Networking issue confusion

Post by Reljoy »

Thanks very much for your help and explanations altair4. I appreciate it very much.

Return to “Beginner Questions”