Failed Echo-Skype, no sound

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mr.magoo

Failed Echo-Skype, no sound

Post by mr.magoo »

Bangin' at this keyboard ain't fun. Once again I dunno what's up. Friday before last, I had sound. Connection seemed to go bad in the middle of the long conference call. I had switched from headset, to headphones and microphone. Still had sound, but couldn't get microphone to work (old). Call cut out before the end of the session and it appeared I was the only one cut out. Tried to set up for last Friday - nada. Just checked audio from YouTube and I can't even get that now.

Pulse Audio is the sound system installed. I can see the audio, but can't hear it! Checked Chapter 4 in the "Bible" but it doesn't explain why something that worked no longer does. I really haven't changed all that much on the desktop in the last week. I'm pretty much just trying to soak things up and learn this OS before getting really creative, but it's just like this damned double-wide or anything else I do these days... set out to do one thing and something breaks or I have to take care of something else before I can finish my original objective.

Any suggestions? :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Failed Echo-Skype, no sound

Post by vincent »

Open up a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

alsamixer
And turn everything up...see if that fixes the issue.

Nothing in Linux just stops working all of a sudden without a reason, as far as I know. It just doesn't make sense...perhaps you inadvertently messed with something you shouldn't have? Weird...
mr.magoo

Post by mr.magoo »

Yeah, kind o' figured that, but there's a volume control next to the RCA plugs, the volume on my panel is all the way up, then I noticed the red indicators controlling multimedia across the top and fiddled with those (on/off). The volume control for the videos themselves are all the way up. When I clean this thing, I wipe my greasy finger prints off and sometimes that makes things screwy. Damn, I'll be glad when I'm out of this ticky-tacky place. One more month...
mr.magoo

Post by mr.magoo »

I've looked at everything, tweaked everything and I still have no sound out of this beast. It's baffing. It's like one o' those effin magic problems I had in the Navy in reverse (I was an EW Tech for 6 years, an excellent tech); troubleshoot a problem, find nothing, put it back together and it works - effin magic! I guess I'm going to have to take this monster to town. I should wait until I set up again, but I'm an impatient SOB (that and my absent-mindedness will be the death of me).

Oh, and I haven't said thank you in awhile. This thing's still screwed six ways to one, but I am grateful for the help you guys have tried to give me. So, thank you.
mr.magoo

Post by mr.magoo »

Fiddlin' around, wastin' time as usual, thought I'd revisit this baffling problem and squinty-eyed blind, impatient man I am, I missed the suggestion to twiddle the controls in the alsamixer. OK, It's up in terminal. Now, how do I twiddle?

Got it, sort of. I got all values up to 90, but now I'm tryin' to figure out how to turn the headphones on.

Nevermind. Still no YouTube.

Return to “Beginner Questions”