Creating a swap space

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SpadeScorpio

Creating a swap space

Post by SpadeScorpio »

Hello to everyone,

Recently I got involved with Mint Isadora and as a new Linux convert, I am truly impressed with the ease of operation and the install. My initial intro into Mint family was via a dual boot with Win7 install first and then followed by Mint. Utilizing Linux boot loader. Everything went without a hitch.

In my next stage of testing, I wanted to install Mint first followed by Win 7 (utilizing Window boot loader). My test equipment includes an older Dell 8400 desktop with 4 GB of RAM and a single WD 1.0 TB hdd.

I wanted to setup a manual partition within Mint (allocating 100 GB for main partition and 4.0 GB for a swap partition). Both partitions are being created at the beginning of the table.I also wanted to leave about 900 GB unallocated (free space) for my Win7 installation and general storage space.

My current partition directory reads as follows:

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1/ext4 ~100 GB
/dev/sda5/ext3 / ~ 4 GB <<<< wanted to make this a swap partition
free space ~900 GB

How do I select 4 GB partition as a swap partition? Thank you for your help.:)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jay514

Re: Creating a swap space

Post by Jay514 »

Welcome to Linux Mint
You will need to go to the System Menu & Click System, Administration,& Look for the Application ( Gparted )
From there you should be able to locate the Partition that you wish to change & Right click the Partition & choose Format To, Linux Swap.

If the tool ( Gparted ) is not installed, You may go to Synaptic Package Manager & Search & Install the package.

I hope this resolves Your Issue, Have a Good Day.

Return to “Beginner Questions”