DSL connection[SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abhi86

DSL connection[SOLVED]

Post by abhi86 »

i just installed linux mint 9 using the windows installation on a system running windows 7. the installation went fine and mint was loaded properly. now, to connect to the internet i use a broadband connection. the service provider gave me a modem (which has a dsl light on it, on which i'm basing my assumption that i have a dsl connection), a username and a password. i referred a few forums to find out about creating connections with my current system and thus, executed the pppoe command. it detected a no. of connection interfaces like eth0 etc. after providing the username and password, and answering "yes" to all the questions, the system got connected, but i still cannot access the internet. however, in the network tools utility, there seems to be a transfer of data (although in very low volumes).
please help me with this problem. i'm using linux for the very first time today.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: DSL connection

Post by bobcollard »

First, if you are attaching the modem via phone line and it is DSL you need a splitter to use the two wires that are DSL, not Phone. If your Modem is hooked to your Cable Television, it is a different thing. If your ISP (Internet Service Provider) left you a phone number, use it, they will help you solve any problems. PPPOE is for the old modems in the lower speed and range, not broadband. You should not be using this if it is broadband. When you first hooked up the Modem via Ethernet cable most Systems are connected automatically. Hope this helps.
abhi86

Post by abhi86 »

well, yes. i got the internet working, although i didn't do anything other than what i had already done. but now, when i started my system again, the network connection icon didn't show up. and on checking the network connections, i found that the auto eth0 was gone. and so, again i'm unable to use the internet.
also, the modem i use connects to the telephone. thanks a lot for your help.
abhi86

Post by abhi86 »

come on... help me here. anyone... i cant get my auto eth0 back. tried a few tricks from various forums like changing the contents of the file interfaces in /etc/network, reinstalling the network manager, but nothing worked. should i just reinstall the entire linux system??
also, i used the windows installation of mint and allocated 20 GBs to it. now if i uninstall it, will i get those 20 gb back as windows partition, or would i have to put that space back in my C drive manually??

thanks
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Don't know why I missed your reply, oh well. I suppose you are still trying to connect via PPPOE? Did your modem come with small boxes with a phone and DSL outputs? Need more information. Did you try to call your ISP?
abhi86

Post by abhi86 »

no, you were right. i didn't have to use pppoeconf, a restart did the trick. but then the internet sudddenly stooped working and when i restarted auto eth0 was gone. i wanna know how to get it back.
thanks.
abhi86

Re: DSL connection[SOLVED]

Post by abhi86 »

well i got my connection working. just had to reinstall the whole thing and didn't touch the pppoeconf command.

thanks.
mamyyoko

Post by mamyyoko »

i instal linux mint isadora , internet work fine and after several days my net stop ,i use double operating systems windows 7 and linux mint isadora 9,what to do ...i try many things even i reinstal linux mint i format partition where i instal linux mint but nothing happen ...help or i be start to hate linux mint .....my first impresion is exelent.....i use sony vaio lap top vgn-fw ....thanks if you help me....djvani

Return to “Beginner Questions”