[SOLVED]Need to change kernel config for loop-aes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
infoball

[SOLVED]Need to change kernel config for loop-aes

Post by infoball »

Hi,

I need to rebuild the Mint kernel (Mint 8) since I have a loop-aes encrypted disk that I need to access. Loop-aes needs it's own loop module and Mint (like most distros) has the standard version compiled into the kernel. I have done it without any problems on a Slackware installation, but on Mint I can't seem to get the new kernel to work. Partly I guess this is because I can't seem to figure out the actual source used for the kernel in Mint...

I tried this on Mint 9 first, but I assume the steps are the same on Mint8(?). I found instructions here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=46595, but that ends up just going into a kernel panic. Once I also built a new initrd before updating grub (update-initramfs) there was no kernel panic, but the screen just went black. I have tried the latest kernel from kernel.org as well as the kernel source package (linux-source) in the Software Manager, which included Ubuntu patches, but those lacked certain files that make looked for so I disabled the Ubuntu patches.

So:

where do I get the source that actually works? Mint 8 and Mint 9 please.

How do I build and install the kernel so that it works? There seem to be some step missing, perhaps relating to my (lack of) understanding of grub/grub2 - on Slackware I just build the new kernel, place it where I want, update /etc/lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo and then the kernel is available on the next reboot.

The installation is completely unmodified otherwise.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Need to change kernel config for loop-aes

Post by JasonLG »

Mint uses the standard Ubuntu kernel. Never had the need to do it myself, but the instructions are here. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

I tried to compile a vanilla kernel on Ubuntu 10.04 without success. It looks like I'm not the only one. I'm also a Slackware user and compile kernels all the time with no problems.

I guess Ubuntu's patches are needed.
infoball

Post by infoball »

Thanks a lot - for me the Ubuntu instructions worked fine, actually tested on Mint7 despite what I wrote in the original post - but geeeez! It will probably become simpler after doing it a couple of times but I am a bit overwhelmed. Seems unnecessarily complicated...

But thanks!
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

infoball wrote:Seems unnecessarily complicated...
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Return to “Beginner Questions”