Using Isadora CD-ROM to remove a virus on a Windows PC

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tlcmd

Using Isadora CD-ROM to remove a virus on a Windows PC

Post by tlcmd »

My experience with Linux Mint is about 5 months. Started with Helena and moved up to Isadora. I'm running Mint alongside Windows XP (dual boot) on a PC with 1.4 GHz Athlon, 512 of RAM, and a 320 G HDD.

My daughter-in-law is barely computer literate with Windows. Since she hasn't kept her anti-virus/spyware/malware programs up to date, she's infected. I've read on Linux forums that such problems with windows can be fixed using just the Linux CD-ROM without installing a Linux Distro.

Would someone please walk (babystep) me through this process using a Linux Mint 9 'Isadora' cd-rom (iso)? If I can help her and learn something, it would be a double bonus. Any other method of solving her problem would also be appreciated, especially if it is simple. I'm still a Linux noobie.

I have not had an opportunity to check it out, but she tells me it boots up and then goes to a screen that tells her she has a trojan and that she needs to buy the new AVG anti-virus program. To me, it doesn't sound right.

Thanks,
Dick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Using Isadora CD-ROM to remove a virus on a Windows PC

Post by oobetimer »

tlcmd wrote:My experience with Linux Mint is about 5 months. Started with Helena and moved up to Isadora. I'm running Mint alongside Windows XP (dual boot) on a PC with 1.4 GHz Athlon, 512 of RAM, and a 320 G HDD.

My daughter-in-law is barely computer literate with Windows. Since she hasn't kept her anti-virus/spyware/malware programs up to date, she's infected. I've read on Linux forums that such problems with windows can be fixed using just the Linux CD-ROM without installing a Linux Distro.

Would someone please walk (babystep) me through this process using a Linux Mint 9 'Isadora' cd-rom (iso)? If I can help her and learn something, it would be a double bonus. Any other method of solving her problem would also be appreciated, especially if it is simple. I'm still a Linux noobie.

I have not had an opportunity to check it out, but she tells me it boots up and then goes to a screen that tells her she has a trojan and that she needs to buy the new AVG anti-virus program. To me, it doesn't sound right.

Thanks,
Dick
There are many different ways to use linux-live-CD-virus-scanner (I have made some for my own use :mrgreen: ). You can use a basic-CD as a virus-scanner, if you install it for every session.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install clamtk
Klamav is better, but needs some tuning

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install klamav
If you want a better CD, use PClinuxOS, and make a remaster from it.. :wink:

For Ubuntu has a remastersys program for remastering, but it do not be so good.

You also can make your own distro, but it is a different story.. :wink:

Do not waste your money for AGV, MS essentials is better and free..

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Return to “Beginner Questions”