[SOLVED] Firefox 3.0 to 3.5

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Unstuck

[SOLVED] Firefox 3.0 to 3.5

Post by Unstuck »

I was trying to upgrade Firefox from 3.0 to the most recent version in Synaptic. I noticed that 3.5 is installed (see below), but when I open FF and check the version, it says 3.0.17. It seems to me that I should remove the 3.0 versions in Synaptic, but I'm not sure and that makes me nervous. Is this the best--or correct, even--way to proceed?
firefox_installs.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thenewguy

Re: Firefox 3.0 to 3.5

Post by thenewguy »

You should be fine with un-installing Firefox 3.0 using Synaptic. Just check the list of items Synaptic wants to remove after you click apply to make sure it's just removing Firefox 3.0 and nothing else important. Worst case, you'll end up removing both and having to re-install Firefox 3.5. If you're worried about being stranded without a web browser you can also install something else, like Opera, before removing Firefox 3.0. That way if somethign does go wrong, you can still reach the forum for assistance.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

In Mint 7, Firefox 3.0.17 is the default browser. If you installed Firefox 3.5.7, it would not replace 3.0.17, but install beside it and be listed in the Mintmenu as Firefox Shiretoko.

You can remove Firefox 3.0.17 but be aware that some users who did tis had trouble with other apps that depended on that version of Firefox being installed to function properly.
Unstuck

Post by Unstuck »

After un-installing 3.0, I had to start 3.5 in terminal. Previous settings were imported, and, so far, everything seems to be working. Thanks for your help

Return to “Beginner Questions”