Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dcjsimons

Post by dcjsimons »

I am a total newcomer to Linux, although experienced with another OS, and am having issues with Skype on my father in law's machine, it seems almost impossible to get the right balance of mic and speaker volumes.
By turning off AGC in Skype and manually setting values in sound mixer/volume control I can get it to work and stay working for a short period/number of restarts. Then it seems to lose it totally and stop working.
Also have not been able to get volume to match between Skype and videos off disc etc. Skype welcome etc very loud compared to other sources.
Sorry dont have version numbers but believe Skype is a 2.0.x beta, have not upgraded as not certain it would fix it and various reports of not being able to back off upgrade.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
denzil

Re: Skype

Post by denzil »

It is probably worth the upgrade. I couldn't get 2.0 to work, because I couldn't add any contacts, even if I knew their Skype name, real name, email address etc. 2.1 is much better - at least, it actually works.

Return to “Beginner Questions”