It's all about ME!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
runbux

It's all about ME!

Post by runbux »

Please explain why Linux Mint won't let me globally remove all passwords and permissions, to make it easier for me to use. I'm a big boy, I'm willing to take my chances, BECAUSE I have yet to hopelessly (or even marginally) mess up any OS I have ever used on my personal, SINGLE-USER computer. Messing up my OS is what I used to pay Microsoft to do for me!

I understand that Unix, therefore Linux, is a multi-user OS. It seems that when Mr. Torvalds came up with Linux, he wanted to preserve that. Now that many, many, MANY Linux users are on a single user system, is that still necessary or even desirable? Times change, things change. I just don't have the inclination to spend four hours with the command line trying to copy a file to another directory.

The command line stuff in the hands of an inexperienced user seem riskier than a GUI to me. I have accidently sent some files to hard disk limbo, legitimate commands copied verbatim from legitimate web sites (changing file/directory names as necessary) have resulted in many "not a file or a directory" errors without stating any clear reason, things just don't work, etc. Look, I've read statements like "In linux everything is a file..." -- so why must I be so incredidly specific? Everything is a file, right! Everything? Forgive me, it's aggravating.

I guess what I am asking is, while I am a very satisfied MINT user and plan to use Mint for a long time, what is wrong with letting the user choose the degree of ease of use and resulting risk with which THEY are comfortable? We have distro's optimized for multimedia, commerce, many different languages, and so on. I'd do it myself if I was smarter.

Yes, I read "Linux is not Windows." WHY must things be SO different?

P.S. -- 28 years computer experience going back to the IBM 360, VAX 11-750/VMS, DOS, I was one of the 3 people who bought an Apple LESA! My point is I have experience using computers. I even used the command line , but I forgot ALL of it when it bacame obsolete. I'm a Linux newbie, and too old and lazy to learn new things.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: It's all about ME!

Post by MALsPa »

runbux wrote:I just don't have the inclination to spend four hours with the command line trying to copy a file to another directory.
Wow, I don't either. Fortunately it only takes me a matter of seconds, either from the command line or with a file manager.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

While I think it's crazy to do so, why don't you just enable the root account and use that?
Last edited by MALsPa on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Having passwords, permissions and using the Super-User Mode ... is the main reason that Linux does NOT get viruses and such. It's for you're own good.

Return to “Beginner Questions”