Can't connect to wireless Network

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jdgorcos

Can't connect to wireless Network

Post by jdgorcos »

Computer: IBM T42
Router: Apple Airport Extreme
Network: WPA with pre-shared key

I am having difficulty connecting to my wireless network. It appears on the list of available networks, but is greyed out. I'm not sure what steps to do to be able to connect. I've tried adding manually as a hidden network, I've double-checked that the password is correct. When I start the computer, it tries to connect, but nothing happens.

I was able to connect to a linksys router wirelessly a few days ago, so I know that the wireless works.

Thanks!

EDIT: Wireless card is Cisco Aironet Wireless 802.11b
Also, there are some networks that aren't greyed out, but they aren't ones that I have the password to connect to.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Angtagapagligt

Re: Can't connect to wireless Network

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Hello,

I think it has to do with your Router.
Do the Router has a web-fronted Interface (or something like that)?

Perhaps it could be the firewall settings. Go in the MintMenu and filter "firewall", than check if the firewall is activated - if yes just turn it off.

So Long

Angtagapagligt 8)
jdgorcos

Post by jdgorcos »

I can use a macbook to access the airport utility to adjust settings on the router - is that what you mean?

And my firewall is off already, so that's not the issue.
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Yeah that's what I mean.
The firewall is turned off...

Check if your Router needs a specific IP for the clients. If yes give your Mint-PC an IP that will work (I can help you to do this). Normally it should turned on DHCP (automatic allocation of IP address).

Angtagapagligt 8)
jdgorcos

Post by jdgorcos »

Angtagapagligt wrote:Yeah that's what I mean.
The firewall is turned off...

Check if your Router needs a specific IP for the clients. If yes give your Mint-PC an IP that will work (I can help you to do this). Normally it should turned on DHCP (automatic allocation of IP address).

Angtagapagligt 8)
Every other computer I have connects to the router without needing an assigned IP address. In the interest of trying anything that might work, though, what would I need to know to assign it an IP address?
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Ok sounds to me like DHCP.

I'm German so I use the German language pack. That's why it could be that the notations of the buttons etc. not accurately similar to the real notations of the buttons etc. (sorry for that :) )

Go in the menu to "Properties" than choose network connections. Than go to wireless networks and choose your router. On the right side of the window you can find the button "edit" - click on it. Than highlight the rider "IPv4-properties".
First check if the first box is marked with "Automatic (DHCP)". If it's called manual etc. than choose in the dropdown menu "Automatic (DHCP)".

If it's marked with "Automatic (DHCP)" than turn on manual. Look in your Router which IP-address you need (for example 192.168.178.5). Than look for the IP-address of the Router itself.
Than writer your address in the embedded window (in the middle). You have to choose "add" to make a new one. The networkmask is 255.255.255.0, the gateway is the same address as the one of your Router.
The DNS-Server is the address of your router, too.

Than close everything and restart. If we have luck it will work. :)

Angtagapagligt 8)
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

jdgorcos wrote:I've tried adding manually as a hidden network...
If your network's SSID is indeed hidden, try logging into the router, un-hide it, then try connecting. If you can connect, try hiding the SSID again, and see if you stay connected and can subsequently re-connect.

I went thru similar issues here with my hidden network. As soon as I un-hid the SSID, I was able to connect, and can now connect to it hidden without issue. It seems like that initial connection needed to be via a visible SSID for some reason.

Joe
Angtagapagligt

Post by Angtagapagligt »

Hmmm?
He has never a hidden SSID. He said that the router is shown up in his list.
Jdgorcos you can choose your Router from the "normal" list, is this right?
jdgorcos

Post by jdgorcos »

Angtagapagligt wrote:Hmmm?
He has never a hidden SSID. He said that the router is shown up in his list.
Jdgorcos you can choose your Router from the "normal" list, is this right?
Nope, not hidden, I just tried adding it as a hidden network in a last-ditch effort to make something work before turning to the forums.

When I start the computer, it appears on the list of available networks, but is greyed out.

Angtagapagligt - I tried assigning it an ip address manually, but it didn't change the color. I did get a popup when I restarted my computer that told me that my router required a password to connect. I have a WPA key that I've double-checked and is correct - could the problem be because I'm using WPA and not WEP?

If it makes a difference, I'm using a fresh install of Linux Mint 9 and haven't installed any updates/packets.
shinobi

Post by shinobi »

Did you get it working?

I had the same problem with the Dell. It's a driver issue.

Go to the Control Center > Hardware Drivers. There should be 2 Broadcom drivers available. I didn't know which one I needed so I downloaded and activated both. Your laptop will need a restart.

It's working now, and shows it's using the STA driver.

Good luck.

Return to “Beginner Questions”